X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Mill?

Hey all,

I'm working on having my tartan design woven and was curious for the wisdom of this community. Do you have a favorite mill? Are there things that I should be looking for in a mill? Places that I should be avoiding?

The folks over at Prickly Thistle suggested Ingles Buchan and Andrew Elliott. I know USA Kilts will do custom orders through Scottish mills, one of which being Marton Mills and Sport Kilt will source fabric specifically for kiltmaking.

Anyhow, I appreciate the advice!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kemileswallace View Post
    Hey all,

I'm working on having my tartan design woven and was curious for the wisdom of this community. Do you have a favorite mill? Are there things that I should be looking for in a mill? Places that I should be avoiding?

The folks over at Prickly Thistle suggested Ingles Buchan and Andrew Elliott. I know USA Kilts will do custom orders through Scottish mills, one of which being Marton Mills and Sport Kilt will source fabric specifically for kiltmaking.

Anyhow, I appreciate the advice!
    By way of clarification, Marton Mills weave nice cloth but they are not a Scottish weaver, they are based in West Yorkshire (England).

If you want a short run then there is only one mill IMO, Andrew Elliot Ltd. Not only is it a Scottish based firm but they still use ther older type of Crossdob Loom that allows them to weave a selvedge, as opposed to a 'Tuck Edge'. I use them for all my special weave projects.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the recommendation for Andrew Elliott. I recently had a custom weave done with them and it was a very good experience. Robin is a pleasure to work with.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference, here's a photo of my tartan on the loom at Andrew Elliott's. They can do single-width or double-width.

6. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...The folks over at Prickly Thistle suggested Ingles Buchan...
    I hadnít seen that name before. I looked at their web site. They have some attractive tartans but they donít seem to be a twill weave. Is their material suitable for kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    By way of clarification, Marton Mills weave nice cloth but they are not a Scottish weaver, they are based in West Yorkshire (England).

If you want a short run then there is only one mill IMO, Andrew Elliot Ltd. Not only is it a Scottish based firm but they still use ther older type of Crossdob Loom that allows them to weave a selvedge, as opposed to a 'Tuck Edge'. I use them for all my special weave projects.
    I appreciate the clarification! I did know that but mis-typed. It may be helpful to know that for my purposes I'm not deadset on a Scottish mill, although that would certainly be a bonus. The idea of this tartan is tying heritage with the new creation of our family and blended name; that heritage includes Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales so a mill from any of those places would do!

I've dropped a line for a quote to Andrew Elliot after what seems to be a unanimous agreement in their favor. I'd love to hear more about everyone's experience with having something woven, having never done this before!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemuragh View Post
    I hadnít seen that name before. I looked at their web site. They have some attractive tartans but they donít seem to be a twill weave. Is their material suitable for kilts?
    Their Dance range is twill but if you're going for a special in a limited run, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    For reference, here's a photo of my tartan on the loom at Andrew Elliott's. They can do single-width or double-width.

Oh that's lovely! Did you go with 16 oz? I ask because I'm just an hour and a half-ish from you and Texas heat is a thing

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's lovely! Did you go with 16 oz? I ask because I'm just an hour and a half-ish from you and Texas heat is a thing
    Yes, I went with 16oz cloth. I wanted a heavier regimental weight like 18oz or 22oz, but most weavers will only go up to 16oz. I also specified mine to have minimal finishing, as I wanted a more course feel to the cloth.

I must be an anomaly, because I don't find 16oz kilts to be any hotter than lighter weight tartans. If it's hot outside and I'm going to sweat, I'm going to sweat just as much in a 16oz kilt as a 13oz kilt. But I'm a smallish fellow, and don't have a lot of internal insulation, so the heat doesn't bother me as much as most folks. I've sold off all of my lighter-weight and lower-yardage kilts. I just prefer the weight and swish of the heavier cloth with higher-yardage construction.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 8 years ago I had a couple of VIP events to attend and it was decided that my 30/40 year old kilt, whilst being perfectly serviceable for everyday events, was not going to do. So I took the opportunity to personalise my tartan(MacLeod of Harris) to my specifications. Basically I wanted "modern" colours, but with personal input on the colours, "heavyweight" wool and I wanted a larger sett than what is normally available commercially. Due to to my size and I think, the size of the sett, 9 yards of tartan was needed.

Dalgliesh were my choice of weavers------for no particular reason other than I knew of it------- and whilst I am personally not interested in construction details I am very happy with their service and the result. I think that I was lucky with the price charged as I think, since then, prices have increased markedly.

I started off with choosing the colours of the thread and through my non artistic eye and outside help from those who know, I/we came up with this.

1-_MG_5643.jpg(click to enlarge)

Which turned into this.
    cid_part1_01010709_08070007paulhenrykilts.jpg

And then this.First outing.
    017 2.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th May 20 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast