X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

full blown gonzo confused

OK, questions about kilt length. Several times on this forum, people have talked about guys wearing kilts too long, so, in ya'lls opinion where should the kilt lay across the knees.

I am in the process of ordering a 5 yard wool kilt, and my measurements don't make much sense to me. I own a tank (more on this later) and when I actually measured it for the first time (just now) have discovered that it is 25" long. My stillwater is 24 1/4" (supposed to be 24"). Now both of these hit me in the bottom half of my knee, which again seems to be against the popular wisdom here. However, my tank was an ex-hire that I bought from Thomas Gordon in Glasgow, and was fitted to me by one of the kiltmakers, so I have always assumed that that was the right length.

Now measuring I actually get 23" to the middle of my knee, but I wear 23" UKs and they hit in the lower half of my knee as well, but also hang about 2" lower than my trad since they only come to my waist.

Finally last coment to those who think SW's are too long for normal sized guys. I'm just shy of 5'9".

So what suggestions does anyone have?

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 6'4 and I take a 23- 23.5 to the top of the knee cap.

What company did you go with? Machine sewn or handsewn?
    Last edited by Colin; 15th November 05 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always heard that the bottom of the kilt should hit "at the knee". Now whether that's the upper or lower part of the knee is persanl preference. Mine tends to fall on the upper part.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywhere from the top of the knee to mid knee is generally acceptable traditionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the top of the knee to the middle of the kneecap is normal.

Sherry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'2", and my tanks are 25" from top of the apron to the bottom. My kilt drops to mid-kneecap or *maybe* a tad higher, depending on whether or not I completely cover my bellybutton. At first, wearing anything that far up above my hips felt kinda funny, but it feels so natural now that my wife accuses me of "hiking up" my jeans and shorts. T'aint true.

Bryan...I can't convince her that NO MAN will ever hike up pants to the point of discomfort, ifyouknowwhatImean...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to show a little knee so mine fall right at the top of the knee cap. When I kneel wearing my kilts the bottom edge almost touches to floor. I find this length also prevents any irritaion on the knee caps from the more abrasive contemporary materials.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the Stillwaters.I'm 5'8 and by shortening the length 2 inches they fall to the top of my knees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you just turning up the hem & sewing it in place on the SW? Does it show?

I'm curious since I'm getting a Nightstalker for my DS, & he is barely 5'8", so I'll probably have to hem it for him.

Sherry

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sherry, here's a link that explains shortening a kilt.
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13451

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast