X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main thing. Save up some money, sell some stuff for money, take an extra job...kilting is addictive....worth it for the FREEDOM.

Don't be afraid to push the envelope....no rules...just traditions
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RecQuery, I would stay away from the so-called semi-dress sporrans if, by that, you mean the fur-faced leather ones. There is a 'hunter' style that will serve for both day and evening:

and this sort of combination of fur (beaver, in this case) and leather can work for you, too:

Many pass over even both of these in favour of a high quality plain black, such as this one:

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Caithness, Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    RecQuery, I would stay away from the so-called semi-dress sporrans if, by that, you mean the fur-faced leather ones. There is a 'hunter' style that will serve for both day and evening.[/IMG]
    I think that post may require approval, as I can't seem to see it myself but I'm guessing you were.

Those were the semi dress sporrans I was considering though, I was aware of hunter style sporrans and might give them a closer look, cheers.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Scot wearing a kilt in America, I rather tend to think that no matter what you wear, people will think it's just grand.

But with that said, I would think twice about wearing any sort of fur sporran in Southern California. The local attitude there may not be friendly towards fur, and people have been known to throw paint on anyone who dares to wear it. The odds of it happening to you may be very low depending on where you go, but still... no sense offending people if one can help it.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Caithness, Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    As a Scot wearing a kilt in America, I rather tend to think that no matter what you wear, people will think it's just grand.

But with that said, I would think twice about wearing any sort of fur sporran in Southern California. The local attitude there may not be friendly towards fur, and people have been known to throw paint on anyone who dares to wear it. The odds of it happening to you may be very low depending on where you go, but still... no sense offending people if one can help it.
    Good idea actually, that didn't occur to me. Definitely better lean towards either a leather day sporran or hunting sporran... might need to rethink some of the seal skin sporrans I was looking at in the local highland wear store also.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Good idea actually, that didn't occur to me. Definitely better lean towards either a leather day sporran or hunting sporran... might need to rethink some of the seal skin sporrans I was looking at in the local highland wear store also.
    Yes, definitely skip the seal sporran. Those are verboten in the US. (edited to add: they're not illegal to wear, but you'll probably never get it into the country due to treaties/regulations.)
    Last edited by Tobus; 2nd December 18 at 03:51 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with most of what's been said above.

Re: shirts and ties--pretty much anything you might wear with a suit will work fine with your kilt and kilt jacket. I generally avoid button-down collars with the kilt, but other traditional dress-sihrt collars look fine. I tend to stick with traditional shirt colors (white, blue, yellow) and tattersall patterns. I usually wear bow ties, and generally go with whatever colors I think will look nice with my outfit, usually in non-directional patterns or simple stripes.

For casual shirts, just think of what shirt you would wear if you had on jeans or khakis. The same shirt will probably look OK with your kilt, too. I tend to favor turtlenecks in cool weather and safari-style shirts on warmer days. But a t-shirt and leather jacket can also look pretty cool with the kilt.

For hose, the House of Cheviot socks are excellent. I have also had good luck with shootingsocks.co.uk and What Price Glory (repro British Army khaki hose). I also prefer the garter ties. Mine are green with red and green fringe, which came with a similarly colored pair of hose from the shootingsocks web site. Be bold with your color choice--just about any color you can find in a kilt sock will likely look good with your tartan.

Black cap-toes or brogues are your most flexible kilt shoe. But brown brogues are great too. Really any decent dress shoe will look fine. For casual wear, I often go with hiking boots.

The sporrans Thistledown recommended are great choices. For less than black tie, I generally go with fairly standard leather "Rob Roy" bag that has a flap in my tartan. I'd skip the weird half-fur models.

For more formal (black tie and up) events, I have a Prince Charlie jacket and vest, which I wear with a regular tux shirt, studs, black tie, argyle hose, and patent leather shoes.

I am not in the "no headgear" camp, but I also strongly favor the Balmoral bonnet with the kilt, unless you're in a very sunny situation(quite possible in California), when I would go with a brimmed hat to provide some shade. Panamas and Tilleys look fine with the kilt. Some of us are brave enough to wear a pith helmet or Stetson with a kilt, too. Some Xmarks members like a flat (driving) cap, while others consider it an abomination. Decide what you like and wear it with confidence and you will seldom hear any criticism.

I hope this is helpful.

Andrew

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

Over the years, I've met many Scots, that have come to our area of California (Silicon Valley, Southern end of San Francisco Bay). People, for a moment, will wonder about a kilted person. The moment they speak, all is approved.

Fur is a contentious thing in the State. Southern California has areas where it can get ugly. Many individuals we are referring to, have issue with leather. However, fur can be the trigger for nasty behavior.

As for hats, given the weather, an umbrella may be more appropriate. So far, our area & Southern California, seem to be starting out a bit wetter that we are used to.

Have a good trip!
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    The sporrans Thistledown recommended are great choices. For less than black tie, I generally go with fairly standard leather "Rob Roy" bag that has a flap in my tartan. I'd skip the weird half-fur models.
    Some good advice here from California. Stick with leather, RecQuery and keep a fine seal for home and your visit to Canada sometime in the future . I would stay away from the tartan flap. You'll never find a match for your Davidson Lochcarron kilt and why would you want to?

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post

For example I'm leaning towards my first sporran being semi-dress and trying to straddle the line between everyday and dress... that is of course unless I receive advice against that.
    I am not a huge fan of the semi-dress sporran it does not really straddle the line between everyday dress, it simply fails at both, no for my money the better bet would be to get a good quality day sporran. My first sporran was my dad's old one & was made in 1950 it is still in use today & was the only sporran he has ever needed.

I would recommend McRostie if you've got the cash for such an expense. Or as OCRichard has said before look to eBay for a vintage sporran instead.

https://www.mcrostie.co.uk/product-c...wear/sporrans/

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast