X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid a lightning trip to Edinburgh in 1986. I'd never been to Scotland before and wanted to get a kilt and I was about 24.
    I went to all the kilt shops but did not realise you had to get them made to your measurements. They all had a few made kilts available and luckily Hector Russell had a nice one in Modern Gordon, which although universal is also my correct tartan. I still have it although for some reason it shrank and had to be made bigger about 10 years ago.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Friends of Laphroaig tartan

Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder90 View Post
    I am a fan of Laphroaig single malt, and I know that the Laphroaig distillery is on the Isle of Islay in Argyll Scotland. I guess my question is, is being a fan of that particular single malt a good enough reason or an appropriate reason to buy a kilt of the Argyll tartan.
    It sounds like a superb reason to get a kilt in the Friends of Laphroaig tartan. There doesn't seem to be a kilt, but you could probably contact Laphroaig Distillery, find out where they get their tartan scarves made, and work your way up the supply chain.

If I can comfortably explain a reason for wearing a particular tartan, that's an appropriate enough reason for me.

My first kilt is a universal/fashion tartan that my wife bought for me. She knew I had some Scottish ancestry (less than she does), and she knew I would like the way the kilt looked. Since then, I have discovered (by talking to one of the family genealogists) that I have more Irish ancestry than I realized. Therefore, I have ordered an Irish Heritage kilt from USA Kilts as my second kilt ... and I like the way it looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was made for me by my mother over 55 years ago. She made two one, for myself and one for my brother. Mine was hunting Stewart my bothers in Royal Stewart. Her intention was we would wear them to church (Kirk). I am sure her choice of tartans was based on what was available to her. I remember being very proud of it. However as with any good Scottish lady would do, she made it a size or two too big so I could grow into it. So she sewed in a pair of red suspenders to keep it from falling over my young boy non-hips. I remember being teased by other boys at our Presbyterian Sunday School because of the suspenders but not because of the kilt.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    It sounds like a superb reason to get a kilt in the Friends of Laphroaig tartan.
    I just don't care for that tartan.

And why did they use green and orange, making it look like a typical Irish tartan?

I was imagining some nice earth-tones suggestive of the peat and the rocks and such.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first was from Hector Russell's shop on Princes Street and was selected because, of my then enforced parsimonious lifestyle, it was on the sale rack and fit pretty well....still not sure of the Tartan...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends of Laphroaig tartan

We often say here that the tartan you wear defines you. Or says much about how you see yourself. This thread
    is about choosing your first tartan. Your first statement to the world about how you view who and how you are
    in this world. Does anyone want to say alcohol is the most important thing in their life? That drinking ranks number
    one? That one's life is so devoid of actual joy and/or accomplishment that Laphroaig is the first thing they think of?

I am not saying never buy this tartan. I am not saying don't drink Laphroaig. I'm merely suggesting that the first
    tartan might deserve more thought and weight. I am also not saying that I haven't spent more than a little bit of
    time doing spiritual counseling around drug and alcohol struggles, or that I haven't lost family and friends to same.
    I am aware that might have some bearing on my thinking here. And I'm certainly not attempting to beat anyone up.
    If careful consideration yields yes answers to the above questions, I will support someone in that choice. As a fifth
    tartan , not an issue.

As a first tartan, my own personal thought is for deeper meaning. And in the spirit(s) of full disclosure, as of this date
    I apparently still do not run the universe, nor am I considering applying for the position.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; Today at 12:06 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910