X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Definitions

Although I've been around kilt wearers for years it took me until now to get one of my own. So, of course I ended up with more than one.

Is there a site or a link here that can define the terms that everyone uses about kilt styles? I see traditional and utilikilt and box pleats and so many other terms that I'm not sure what they all mean. I just want to be able to get a better feel for what you guys are all talking about. I'll be wearing kilts for different occasions. When I'm used to wearing one I will probably want others. The first few times that I wore my new ones I received lots of compliments.

I currently have a standard (Stillwater Kilts) Black Watch and then I ordered a Balmoral 8 yard 16 oz in MacDonald Modern tartan which came this week and I can't wait to get outside in it.

Thanks for any help in understanding some of the terms.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to start?!... There are many terms used almost exclusively by people who post here and others that are pretty universal. Also, many become apparent through context here. If you make a list of the specific terms you're interested in, the many experts here will be happy to answer.

I can start with

http://www.utilikilts.com/

cheers,

blu

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only!
    there are so many different ways of being "properly" attired, as even a casual reading of the messages on here will show.
    Whether is is length of kilt, height of hose,black or brown- sporran,belt,and or shoes/boots, etc..
    I think the key thing is to be confident about the way you want to wear it. I cannot see a time where I would wear the completly formal get up with the ghillie shoes(but who knows it might happen) as I don't really like those shoes.
    I dare say that some people will never be able to agree on just what is the style, because really what we wear today is really only an updating of centuries of wearing a bit of cloth!
    sorry not be more definative, but kilt wearing isn't that easy!!
    But go for it! and enjoy

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off welcome!. The list of terms in the FAQs should get you started. Ask away, we'll find an answer or make one up!

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s#faq_faq_abbr
    Last edited by Southern Breeze; 25th March 06 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    ... Ask away, we'll fibd an answer or make one up!
    Yeah we are really good at making stuff up here !!!

Welcome aboard !!!
    ITS A KILT, G** D*** IT!
    WARNING: I RUN WITH SCISSORS
    “I asked Mom if I was a gifted child… she said they certainly wouldn’t have paid for me."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UmAnOnion
    Yeah we are really good at making stuff up here !!!
    So, really, you need both the definitions AND the discount factor to apply to each source! Hang in there; it may not get easier, but you'll become used to it.

Welcome aboard!
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It almost seems like we need an illustrated page showing the various kilt styles and accessories...it would answer a lot of FAQ's especially from new participants.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea.

Here's another one....how about an interactive kilt model. You could select tartan, hose color, shirt color, leather color, and then see what it would all look like put together. There could be a feature that allows others to cast "aye" or "nae" votes on your selection.

Ooh, ooh (doing my best "Car 54" imitation)...we could put Hamish's face on the model....

I better go lie down
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Hiker
    That's a great idea.

Here's another one....how about an interactive kilt model. You could select tartan, hose color, shirt color, leather color, and then see what it would all look like put together. There could be a feature that allows others to cast "aye" or "nae" votes on your selection.

Ooh, ooh (doing my best "Car 54" imitation)...we could put Hamish's face on the model....

I better go lie down
    Ahem..Something like this ?

http://www.trulyscottish.com/kiltview/kiltstore.php

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...That's my idea exactly. It would be really useful if it had legitimate selections. Who wears a pink jacket with a kilt?
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast