X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you are in Australia. I have no idea how conservative the local Police force is. Are they as biased against the kilt as some of our members seem to be?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, No, Nada, No way!

Ex wife of an ex-copper here. (Victoria)

At the Board they are looking to see how he fits in.
    If he makes it to the academy he needs to keep his head down - Bum up - Mouth shut during training. (Very similar to Army basic training)

Standing out, being flamboyant and making a statement -through his attire- is not what they are looking for.

Think about it from your perspective as a member of the public... would you want a copper turning up to your car accident, missing child, house burglary, etc who was more interested in making a statement about himself through his attire than actually listening and helping you?
    Thatís what the Board are looking for.

God knows I push the boundaries of kilt wear all the time... when itís appropriate. Itís no different to me wearing a low cut top and mini skirt with CFM Boots to the same board/interview if I was applying... totally inappropriate.

If he was apply for a job in a retail menswear shop- great wear a kilt.
    But for a police board?

Not on ya Nellie

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark suit, white shirt, blue or red tie would be my advice.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to John_Carrick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I see you are in Australia. I have no idea how conservative the local Police force is. Are they as biased against the kilt as some of our members seem to be?
    The Western Australian Police do have a kilted pipe band but If he's being interviewed for general police training I think the kilt should be left at home. I have lived in WA since 1993 and apart from individuals at Highland events, weddings, pipe bands and one old busker in Perth I have never seen anyone going about kilted.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 31st October 18 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Retiring next year with years spent US Coast Guard, CIA, and finally the last 18 CBP. I am sure you never wore the green and brown/blue tartan of the BP... Dumb move to wear kilt to interview for the job interview....CHEERS.
    Nope , never got the chance. We do have a very active pipe and drums unit. It did not form until late in my career. If I had known, I would have tried harder to master the chanter that I had in the 90s.

I still would not show up to an interview in a kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Nope, No, Nada, No way!

God knows I push the boundaries of kilt wear all the time... when it’s appropriate. It’s no different to me wearing a low cut top and mini skirt with CFM Boots to the same board/interview if I was applying... totally inappropriate.
    Lady Grey, I would definitely hire you if you came to the interview dressed that way. To be certain though please send me a pic of your outfit.
    Last edited by tokareva; 31st October 18 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Lady Grey, I would definitely hire you if you came to the interview dressed that way. To be certain though please send me a pic of your outfit.
    pmsl...Donít get us in trouble on the forum... and no!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everone's input.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    As Devil's Advocate for this thread, you are welcome. A question like the one you posted is worth the opinion of the group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a public schoolteacher and wear kilts nearly every day inside and outside of work. I dress appropriately for work with ties, waistcoat, etc. Outside of work involves more casual attire. However, if I were to attend an interview for a new job, I would wear a conservative but well-fitting business suit. I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone who wears a kilt to the interview. There are far more important skills and contributions to assess in such a situation.

I'm grateful that I have a reputation as a good and fair teacher and that my students nearly always enjoy my classes. The only exception to the above statements is if I were to be interviewed for a position where my reputation proceeded me and the interviewers were LOOKING FOR the kilt. I can't imagine that happening so ... back to the suit!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Last edited by jthk; 1st November 18 at 09:20 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast