X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts and Dry Cleaning

A post by Shropshire Steve, over at "Tom's Café" has prompted me into raising this subject.

He referred to the question of a washable kilt's leather straps, and how the washing process might affect them. That is a very valid question since, in my experience, leather and immersion in water do not go hand in hand.

My question is concerned with the dry cleaning of traditional, woollen kilts. Until fairly recently, the straps were not a problem but now, they seem to be and I am wondering if anyone else has come across this dilemma, and if so what they have done about it?

A few weeks ago, I took one of my kilts in to my regular dry cleaning establishment for a freshen-up, only to be told that the chemicals now used in the cleaning could affect the leather straps, and that the firm would not be held responsible for any damage to them. It was suggested that I might like to remove the straps before leaving the kilt to be cleaned.

As any owner of a traditional kilt will know, at least one, if not two, of the kilt's straps are sewn into the thicknesses of the fabric during the tailoring process. So, to remove and resew the straps every time the kilt is cleaned will soon play havoc with the garment. (Not that my kilts require frequent cleaning, but you know what I mean! )

Subsequent to that visit to the village dry cleaners, I made enquiries at another, larger establishment in Brighton - and was given a similar response!

Has anyone else come up against this and, if so, how have you overcome it?
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Miah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be posible to wrap the Straps,
    I know emersion in water can be over come with some good polish
    and or treatment. as far the products they are using ,,,, I am not sure but is it at all posible to wrap and or seal up the straps? somehow wrap plastic around the leather and then tape it off?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say rub them down real good with Mink Oil. It's better than neatsfoot oil because it's silicon based. The chemicals shouldn't have much effect.

Miah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what it is Mink oil i could not remember the name that and saddle soap is what i use after i get my boots all nasty
    and they need a good cleaning, also to clean all the "gunk" off shaving foam is good i usualy use a stiff brush to scrub it in and then re build the polish and saddle soap and oil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilts and Dry Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    My question is concerned with the dry cleaning of traditional, woollen kilts. Until fairly recently, the straps were not a problem but now, they seem to be and I am wondering if anyone else has come across this dilemma, and if so what they have done about it?

A few weeks ago, I took one of my kilts in to my regular dry cleaning establishment for a freshen-up, only to be told that the chemicals now used in the cleaning could affect the leather straps, and that the firm would not be held responsible for any damage to them. It was suggested that I might like to remove the straps before leaving the kilt to be cleaned.

As any owner of a traditional kilt will know, at least one, if not two, of the kilt's straps are sewn into the thicknesses of the fabric during the tailoring process. So, to remove and resew the straps every time the kilt is cleaned will soon play havoc with the garment. (Not that my kilts require frequent cleaning, but you know what I mean! )

Subsequent to that visit to the village dry cleaners, I made enquiries at another, larger establishment in Brighton - and was given a similar response!

Has anyone else come up against this and, if so, how have you overcome it?
    Ham,

This could be a problem. I believe you are going to be seeing Howie again soon, so how about asking him if this problem is occurring in Scotland, and if so, what the solution is.

I assume that a new chemical is being used in the dry cleaning process (probably due to some new Euro regulation, banning the use of the old chemical).

If Howie has an answer, please let us all know.

Rob

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks, chaps.

I cannot see wrapping and sealing the straps as being a very practical solution - it had occurred to me, but I could imagine the chemicals attacking the plastic wrapping and the adhesive tape, thereby exposing the leather!!

Mink Oil seems to be the way to go, although I've never seen or heard of it here in the UK. It looks like I need to have a word with a saddle-maker a few miles from here.

A word with Howie is also a very good idea, although I dare say that new chemicals being used in the south of England will also have found their way north of the border. Yes, kilt hire companies must be having kilts dry cleaned by the dozen every day. They should know about these things!

Thanks to you all for the suggestions.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post, I am about to get a kilt dry cleaned for the first time, I'll let you know how I go.

This certainly highlights the advantages of velcro kilts, I just chuck'em into the washing machine.

As Hamish said, I'm amazed at how little they all require cleaning tho, compared with trousers which had to be washed almost ever few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing!
    I was just asked to make a poly/viscose kilt with straps and told the customer I'd have to think of a way around ruining the straps in the washing machine.
    I'm working on it as I make other kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear, you might look into alternate materials for straps, like woven nylon or cotton. Maybe even use snap buckles instead of traditionals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my TFCK B/W polly/viscose back from a local drycleaners here in Canada and didn't have any probs.also do you have old kilt that you can sacrifice as a test to see if it will be a prob?
    or do the cleaners not have anythin to test first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast