X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I cannot bring this one to mind. What's the source?
    I think it's the same one you referenced, at Blair Castle.

Dunbar's point is that it's not painted from life, but a later copy of the Jeremiah Davidson painted-from-life portrait in ordinary English dress, retro-fitted with Highland Dress.

I'll try to find the signed and dated Jeremiah Davidson English dress painting and see if it does look like the source of the unsigned undated no-provenance Highland Dress picture at Blair Castle.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I think it's the same one you referenced, at Blair Castle.

Dunbar's point is that it's not painted from life, but a later copy of the Jeremiah Davidson painted-from-life portrait in ordinary English dress, retro-fitted with Highland Dress.

I'll try to find the signed and dated Jeremiah Davidson English dress painting and see if it does look like the source of the unsigned undated no-provenance Highland Dress picture at Blair Castle.

Yes, that's the one. One has to be careful with Dunbar, his History of Highland Dress is a superb resource but it is not without error due to research since its publication in 1960. Notwithstanding his assumption that the picture is by Davidson, I have never seen it attributed to him elsewhere. I know of three pictures of Lord George in non-highland clothes. The first is by Sir Robert Strange, he painted several versions of the Prince in tartan that appeared as propaganda miniatures, the second collected by Walter Blaikie, and a third of which I cannot find out anything but which was possibly the source of Blaikie's print.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lord George Murray comparison.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	43498

A comparison of the Blair picture and the unsourced third engraving shows very similar features and allowing for artistic differences, they could be the same less the wig. Given the lack of an original of which the engraving is taken, it leaves a question hanging about whether the Blair picture is chicken or egg?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lord George Murray (1694-1760) face.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	43499

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes one of those must be the portrait Dunbar was referencing, as the face of the Highland Dress picture is obviously based on either the centre or righthand portrait you show, if indeed either of those are the original. All three might based on a fourth painting.

Dunbar's assertion that the original was by Jeremiah Davidson suggests that he's referencing a signed work, but until it's found the jury is out.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th May 24 at 01:10 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12