X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newbie question

So I think a tick bit me in the woods 'cause I'm about halfway through making an X-Kilt and really diggin' it. However, I forsee a problem in a few months. I drive a Jeep With the top down and the doors off, cruising around, the wind might make its way places. While this might be a rather stimulating experience, it might show people more than they're comfortable seeing. Any thoughts on securing the garment (lap belt maybe)? Any bikers run into similar problems and have solutions?

thanks,
    ted

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never worn my kilt on my bike, but I think a seatbelt and sporran might help.

Oh and

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume your talking a CJ with the doors off? A lap robe would solve the problem. If that's too warm for your taste then just use a bungee across your lap at the front edge of the seat. Choose one that is long/stretchy enough to allow enough leg movement for driving but have enough force to hold your kilt against your legs. I know a guy who rides his bike using this technique. I've ridden my Harley successfully just by gathering the kilt under my legs and sitting on it, but that's with the FLH fairing which gives good wind protection. I don't know how much different the wind patterns would be in a Jeep.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I sold my jeep before I became a daily kilt wearer, I had worn one more than once with the top down (top came down in April went backup in October). It really isn't a issue. Wind blown in weird patterns in a Jeep, and between the knees it is almost dead calm ever at 60+MPH.

(Note this is in a Wrangler with the 1/2 doors. Milage may vary in a Wrangler with the full doors or in a CJ5/7 with no doors).

Adam

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a convertible like the Miata/Mx-5, a kilt is no problem. A motorcycle is also different than a bicycle (higher speeds, generally, and different mass between the knees).

When you drive the jeep with shorts, how much wind is in the knee area and which direction does it blow? If side to side or back to front, no problem. The only issue would be a strong blast from front to back.
    In my car, the wind blows from the middle forward, disipates, and then across the lap to the doors. My only problem is a tendency for the apron to lift slightly (in American left-hand driving seat. A short wind blocker (about 3-4 inches) deals with the vast majority of it.
    Because of the different external shape and interior design (wind accelerators, decelerators, deflecting surfaces and so on), a Jeep should be at least somewhat different. Also, the door heights will also affect it (as do the window heights on my car-> in all but the hardest rain, I can drive top down and windows up -above about 45- and stay PREFECTLY DRY, except for my forehead!)

Of course, I've heard of a chap who drives his Ariel Atom (basically a 4 wheeled spaceframe with minor body panels and a decent engine) wearing a kilt, so some just don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. Yeah, it's a Jeep TJ (Wrangler, CJ's younger brother), and yeah, the wind patterns are kinda wierd. Low or no doors depending on what the weather's gonna be like. I'm not thinking the wind will neccessarily whip directly up but air pressure might pull it up or such, we'll just have to see... I'll take a test drive around the block when it comes to it and see if there's any real cause for concern. I meant bikers = motorcycle, not too concerned about pedal powered vehicles for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also from just slightly south.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the bike the main question to be solved is "chaps over kilt" or "kilt over chaps." Otherwise you're asking for a hell of a road rash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome from New Mexico.

I've worn a kilt in my "late" (RIP) Suzuki Samurai with the top and doors both completely off. I have to agree, that the lap is like the "eye of the storm" as far as calm. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem

I've got a modified YJ and love to drive with the doors off. You shouldn't have any problem with wind drafts. Just make sure you're seated properly on the kilt and things should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast