X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight Loss

Ok. Really weird side effect of sudden loss of body mass. I think. I am hoping I can explain it.

My Stillwater is 24 inches long. Now, when I ordered it, I wore it high rised, military style, just slightly above my navel, and it hit me just about mid knee. Even though I am five foot five.

Mid knee. This is important.

Now. I have lost about 50 pounds. My legs are shrinking. My **** is disappearing. I uh, have kind of gone flat back there my wife tells me. And I think that's the problem.

My Stillwater now hangs down about an inch or two just below the knee when I wear it in the same place I have always worn it.

I think my big **** spread it out around enough to effectively raise it up a few inches to allow for spread. And now with weight loss, Stillwaters are just to long for me, which is heartbreaking.

Anybody else encountered this? Am I right in guessing the reason on why it suddenly seems longer? My philabeg from USAKilts is now mid knee, when it was right at the top of the knee. And the only think I can think of to explain what is happening is a loss of spread that pulls the garment up.

And I don't think there is much I can do to fix it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have lost 50 lbs and because of that everything I wear hangs differently. Clothing is much longer. Also because I decreased the gut it doesn't take up as much room in the clothing I wear. Congratulations on the weight loss. It must help with the RA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight loss does weird things. I too have lost weight, about 25 lbs in the last year. I'm still wearing the same waist size with no appreciable difference, but now all of my kilts are too long as well, even though they are still sitting in the same place as before.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the loss of the "chair spread". Since the material no longer has to travel as far around the rump before it hangs, it will now hang farther.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove
    It's the loss of the "chair spread". Since the material no longer has to travel as far around the rump before it hangs, it will now hang farther.
    Beat me to it. I have lost weight, and gained it back. when I lost it my shirts also hung shorter, as did my pants. It isn't just the chair spread though, it's the whole lower body. Thighs, hips, the whole bit. But yeah less there to spread it out and lift it, so now it hangs. Waa! I lost weight and my kilts do fit! cry me a river! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you intend on remaining thinner, then simply have your kilts hemmed. Keep in mind that if you put the weight back on, the hemline will rise!

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind the weight LOSS! My concern is that no matter what I do, whether it be diet (but I've always eaten sensibly) or increased exercise, I continue to put weight ON. This summer alone I have put on another stone (14 lbs). Last winter it was 28 lbs.

The funny thing is that I can still get into all of my kilts (oh, with the exception of two early Utilikilts, which are not adjustable), but a couple of the older 'traditionals' are now a little short in the wearing!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the other thing you can do is to learn to walk like a duck. If you have the really strange posture so your bum sticks out and your belly sticks out to hold it up that might work. Of course, you will look very strange and the RA will be screaming.

Congrats on the weight loss. I know you're on a fixed income and buy exotic fancy foods to cook, but has the diet saved you enough money to spring for a new kilt to celebrate reaching the target, or a future target?

Hmm, I just realized that if I skip Starbucks fifteen times, I can buy a nightstalker.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Never mind the weight LOSS! My concern is that no matter what I do, whether it be diet (but I've always eaten sensibly) or increased exercise, I continue to put weight ON. This summer alone I have put on another stone (14 lbs). Last winter it was 28 lbs.

The funny thing is that I can still get into all of my kilts (oh, with the exception of two early Utilikilts, which are not adjustable), but a couple of the older 'traditionals' are now a little short in the wearing!
    Maybe you and Dread can swap kilts. Dread-congrats on the weight loss.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense meant to Ham, but he is little and dainty. I doubt we could swap kilts. For now. ;)

I wouldn't say I am becoming little or dainty, but I am shrinking.

Exotic fancy foods... Yes. But I still spend about 50 dollars a week on groceries. Not enough money for a kilt. I did take the money I had been stashing away and bought some really spiffy 200 dollar boots for the winter for my wife... That only cost me 70 dollars. Last year's colours, on clearance. So the kilt fund is sadly depleted, but wife will have warm feet in the ice and snow this winter. For me, it's another winter wearing sandles. Which is ok, because I can't really feel anything down below my knees anyway, so I don't know if I am cold.

The really crushing thing about all this is, I can no longer wear Stillwater kilts. Which is sad because they fit in to the budget oh so well.

Going to petition for a 22 inch Stillwater.

Edit. To clarify in case it wasn't clear. Ham is a thin looking fella. I meant nothing bad at all by dainty. Just I could never see my self that thin.
    Last edited by Dreadbelly; 2nd October 05 at 06:03 PM. Reason: To correct a phrase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast