X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"But I Don't Have Enough Money!"

"But I don't have enough money!" This phrase is often used by people as an excuse for buying cheaper, less quality kilts; that is, not a traditional, 16 oz, eight yard kilt. They claim that buying cheaper kilts will get them enthused about buying a traditional kilt later on. Those who buy a traditional kilt are accused of being extravagant, and traditional kilts are seen as the preserve of the well-to-do.

Those who know me in real life, know that my chosen way of life doesn't bring in a lot of money and will never make me a wealthy man. I do have, however, a priority when it comes to interests; that is, my Scottish heritage and Highland attire. It's a nice change for me on occasion.

When it comes to Scottish attire and the traditional kilt, I would purpose that those who are thinking they're too expensive, stop for a moment and think. Think about how much you're spending on those Utilikilks and how much you could save by not buying them, and instead save up for a traditional, 16 oz, eight yarder.

One doesn't go out and by all the articles of clothing at once. In fact, unless you have the money, I'd suggest that buying "the package" deals that outfitters offer is not the best way to do it. Collect these things over time. Buy the kilt first and a day sporran. Add the hose (not white or cream, please). Later, you may buy a proper kilt jacket. You may add a sgian dubh later on. The point is, you don't have to be wealthy to be properly dressed in traditional Scottish attire. Just stop buying all those cheap kilts and Utilikilts and start saving if this is a priority in your life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I was saving up for a four yard, sixteen ounce, box pleated kilt in my tartan... now that I have a tartan.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. There is something to be said about the virtue of saving. I think people often times add up in their heads the cost of the their "dream kilt" plus hose, plus jacket, plus fancy sporran, plus ghillie brogues, plus a sgian dubh, plus a bonnet, plus a cap badge, plus a kilt pin, plus garters, plus a belt, plus a fly plaid, and on and on.... It could easily add up to $1500 or $2000, especially if one has expensive tastes. "Sticker shock" is the word of the day!

But, as I tell people, unless you are buying your kilt outfit to wear to a specific function where you will need to wear all of that stuff, there is absolutely no need to buy it all at once. When I talk to most firt-time kilt buyers, they admit that they plan on wearing the kilt primarily to attend Highland Games and other kinds of outdoor festivals. So I advise them the same was as you just did. Buy your kilt first, plus the bare minimum accessories -- a good day-wear sporran, and a pair of hose and garters. All the rest you can accumulate over time.

Think about it -- for years to come when people ask you what they can get you for your birthday or Christmas, you'll have a ready-made list of accessories for your kilt! You may find that you end up with more than you need, all gifted to you!

Another consideration is that most places that sell kilts allow you to place your order with only a deposit. As it will typically take at least a couple of months before your kilt is ready, longer some places, that allows you to space out the payments, which might make it a little easier on your budget.

All this is to say that the kilt can be more affordible than many think. Your initial investment may only need to be $300 or so, not $1500.

That being said, of course we all have our own budgets, and we all have our own priorities, and only you can determine whether buying that "dream kilt" of yours is financially viable, or responsible. But it doesn't have to be as hard as many people perceive.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was involved with a Civil War reenactment unit, "fresh fish" (new recruits) were given a list of uniform items and kit that were required to purchase with a probationary period (usually a year) -- during that year, the new recruit could buy his kit while at the same time, borrow extra items from the "veterans" to use temporarily.

Another list, with optional items which were not necessarily needed for a basic impression of a Union soldier of the Civil War, was also provided, so that once the recruit had assembled his required kit, he could always add to his individual impression as time went on.

While it's not an exact comparison, some Highland attire stores do provide such a list of basic items for the beginner. I wonder if that might be something we should consider here as a potential tutorial?

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of it is priorities as well. Many (though by no means all) who claim not to have the money for a traditional kilt, don't even hesitate to buy the latest computer, take that trip to Vegas, or whatever else they spend their money on.

It's all about choices. Very few people have the funds to do or buy what they want whenever they want it.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a lot of money. I have made boots (and now shoes) as my sole source of income for better than 35 yrs.. It is a 19th century Trade in the 21st century...shoemakers have managed to drag themselves forward in time (at least we're here) but hourly wages never made it past 1900. My annual income (which supports my wife and myself) is substantially less than the cost of a new Hyundai or Yugo.

Yet somehow I have managed to put together two high quality, traditional kits. It is a matter of priority, no questions. And the self-discipline to defer immediate gratification...in my case over the course of a year (and rest assured deferring my wants is my weakest character trait).

I think that the old refrain about traditional wool kilts costing too much is just an excuse...and one that rings hollow--that won't bear up under any objective scrutiny.

I posted a photo here, midway in my quest for a full kit, in which everything I was wearing, except the lowest priced full eight yard wool kilt that Scotweb offers, was hand or home made. The shirt I was wearing (not an Hawaiian shirt), I have my wife to thank for. Ditto the hose. The sporran and belt and sgian I made myself from careful observation and study of what was required. I also made the shoes I'm wearing.

Everyone is familiar with the story of the fox and the grapes...

I think that there's a tendency in our culture to not only want what we want and...NOW!!...which is bad enough, but when you combine it with a reluctance to actually work for something--to study, think, plan...imagine--puts paid to the aspirations of a good many people.

And then, in the wake of what is necessarily failure and frustration, to claim that the grapes were sour.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me see if I understand- the fact that I own several contemporary kilts means that I'm just too cheap or don't have the pride to buy a traditional 16oz 8 yarder? First off- I AM NOT SCOTTISH!! I am an American who happens to have Scots- Irish heritage. Given that fact, I am damned proud of that fact that I can wear a USA Kit or an Amerikilt. I am as proud to be an American as I am to be a Celt. You are seeing things from one perspective, and one perspective only. I actually have a traditional kilt on order. And in truth, that's still open to debate- it's in the Colorado State tartan, and not my family tartan. I am a Rocky Mountain native. This is my home- not the country of my grandparents. That was their home. So before you post more threads that sound condescending, do please keep in mind that your point of view is not the only correct one. The Amerikilt, R Kilt, USA Kilt, Stillwater Kilt, or SportKilt wearer is supporting the local boys- the home team. And we will continue to do so with pride.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is some of the most sensible advice I have seen on here in a long while. A bit like Jock Scot I only want one good kilt and was prepared to pay for the best because I knew it would probably outlive me! I know I have 2 kilts now but that is only because I was lucky enough to inherit my late father-in-law's along with a couple of his jackets. I would go along with Matt's advice to anyone starting out and just buy the best quality kilt you can. That along with a leather sporan and hose to go with the tartan is everything you need. Forget all the "white tie" and "PC" rubbish you read on some posts here and get on enjoying kilt-wearing.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a traditional kilt on order. And in truth, that's still open to debate- it's in the Colorado State tartan, and not my family tartan.
    Respectfully, though...the concept of a district tartan is in someways older than the concept of a clan/family tartan -- and many clans and families wear them, especially those who may not have a tartan of their own.

I wear a kilt made from the Iowa state tartan, and still consider myself a traditionalist and an American citizen who is proud of the contributions made to the Republic by my Scottish and Ulster-Scottish immigrant ancestors. Being one doesn't exlude you from the other necessarily. My Iowa kilt was made from Scottish cloth by an American kilt maker, a perfect combination of the old world and new. A number of members here have "traditional" kilts made by Americans -- Newsome, Lare, Tewksbury, etc.

Finally, I don't Scotus was trying to offend you (or anyone else) personally. Remember, this thread is posted in the "traditional kilts" section of the forum, and so Scotus was discussing "traditional" kilts only.

As my good friend, the ex-Chief Stoker in the Royal Australian Navy said, "we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable."

Regards,

Todd
    Last edited by macwilkin; 13th March 09 at 06:35 AM.

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am saving for a traditional kilt right now. I still have a long way to go. However, I am going to purchase one that is made here in the USA. However, I still purchased a USAK Casual for the summers here. There is no way I am wearing a 16 oz wool kilt to the Highland games or any where else when it is 80 to 90 degrees outside. I would probably not wear my really nice kilt to work either. So I see a need for the lesser expensive kilt (plus I love the fact it uses velco and not the buckles) That is what I think.

Plus, I am in the process of losing weight. Would hate to buy a kilt that won't fit a few months down the road.
    Last edited by bricelythgoe; 13th March 09 at 06:52 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast