X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coat with Trews?

While I understand that this forum is dedicated to kilt wearing, I am curious about what is and is not acceptable to wear with tartan trews.

Specifically, I've only ever seen trews worn with kilt evening jackets (though I've seen them worn with more "standard" style jackets for more casual events). What evening jackets ought to be worn with trews? Would a formal tailcoat be acceptable?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen judges at Highland Games wearing black argyll jackets with trews and gentlemen at Highland Balls wearing Prince Charlies with trews.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    I have seen judges at Highland Games wearing black argyll jackets with trews and gentlemen at Highland Balls wearing Prince Charlies with trews.
    Right. Trews are typically worn in formal settings with the PC or Mess Dress (or a civilian variant thereof).

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your definition of "trews" the style of jacket you wear with them can actually vary.

Some use the term "trews" to refer specifically with the high-waisted, "fish tail" garment which is typically worn with a formal doublet. Others use the term simply to refer to any style of tartan trousers.

You'll see that in our gift shop we offer four styles of trews:
    http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/trews.htm

The tartan trousers are just that -- standard men's trousers made from tartan, in which case you should wear a regular sportcoat with them.

We also sell Argyll trews which are made with a higher waist (like a kilt) and are specifically designed to be worn with an Argyll jacket.

Then we have what we call "Prince Charlie trews" and "military trews" which are the same style trews differing only in construction details, and are designed to be worn with a formal doublet.

Here's a photo of a pair of trews being worn with an Argyll jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn trews (the high-cut fish-tale variety) in clergy tartan with a PC in the evening for black tie events in England ... its the nearest thing I have to a dinner suit (tuxedo) if I'm not wearing the kilt ...and with a black Argyle for formal day-time events. The latter usually weddings where I am officiating.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies so far.

I should add a bit of context to my question; I asked because I have been involved with various bands and orchestras in the past and so already own a formal tailcoat and tuxedo jacket. I was simply curious if I could use the former with trews to make a more Scottish evening outfit.

Ah well, I'll keep saving my pennies for a good jacket.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add a bit of context to my question; I asked because I have been involved with various bands and orchestras in the past and so already own a formal tailcoat and tuxedo jacket. I was simply curious if I could use the former with trews to make a more Scottish evening outfit.
    I have occasionally seen high-cut trews and lower-cut tartan trousers worn with a dinner (Tuxedo) jacket at black-tie events in Scotland. Not my preferred look but it is done.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tux yes, tails no

Cygnus, somewhere in a sartorial smoke filled room, a gent took a long pull directly from the bottle and decreed that tailcoats ought only to be worn with matching trousers. And the other guy said "Fine, but surely you will grant me morning coats?" and the debate was more or less settled. Of course, the correct trousers with a morning coat can be checked, in a pattern very much like the Shepherd's Check tartan, but the differences between a morning coat and a tailcoat are crucial.

I do wonder about morning dress with trousers in some other black -grey tartan ... Probably Not Traditional Highland Dress, even if very stylish, hmmm.

I think you would be fine in many Scots-themed formal settings were you to wear trews with your saxon tuxedo jacket, just as you would be to wear a Tartan dinner jacket with solid black trousers. I refer you again to Matt's helpful distinctions about the definitions of TREWS.

I have a couple of pairs of dress trousers in tartan with a black stripe down the side, though one is a fashion tartan ( black watch with a clever pale pink overplaid,very very cool). I think I shall stick to my kilt for the time being...
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRobert's Reply View Post
    I have occasionally seen high-cut trews and lower-cut tartan trousers worn with a dinner (Tuxedo) jacket at black-tie events in Scotland. Not my preferred look but it is done.
    This is the combination I'm most familiar with and usually the only one (i.e. not with a PC or Argyll style) when worn at military Balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gererally see trews worn with 'kilt jackets' either the PC or argyll;
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast