X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How a highlander decides how to dress.

1. Choose the kilt you wish to wear - this is easy because you only have one.

2. Shirt? If it is a wedding or a funeral? - wear white, if not pick the tattersall - It goes with everything (and nothing).

3. Hose? Pick the lovat green - you have another pair but they are lovat green as well.

4. Flashes/garters? - pick the red ones. This isn't really a choice because you've never seen the need to waste good money on a second pair.

5. Sgian dubh? Easy choice again you only have one.

6. Shoes? Black brogues of course, not the silly ghillie ones which you don't own. In fact you only own 2 pairs of shoes - your new black brogues and your worn out ones. The local shoe maker refused to resole them, which made you furious, after all he resoled them the previous 6 times.
    Other possible foot wear choice is wellies if it is raining, but not for the wedding or the funeral.

7. Belt? Normally you don't wear one as a waist coat is worn.

8. Sporran? Another easy choice. Pick the black one (again the only one you have ever felt the need to own).

9. Tie? Easy choice again wear your school or regimental tie, which ever one doesn't have the gravy stain. The only other choice is your black one if it is a funeral.

10. Jacket? Your black barathea argyle for weddings and after 6 PM - other wise your tweed. (This can be amended to wearing a sweater (or jumper in UK vernacular) if it is a casual affair. If really casual, take off your tie.)

11. And lastly your hat, again a relatively easy choice - if it is cold out wear one if not - don't.

My tongue in cheek attempt at a bit of humour. I sincerely hope no one takes offence as this is not my intent.

Slainte to all!
    Last edited by Liam; 30th August 15 at 06:59 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While enjoying you humor,

Sadly for most highlanders today it's,
    Pull on a pair of jeans, the latest fashionable type if you're a teenager
    Pull on a sweat shirt, advertising your football team,
    Put on a pair of trainers ( sneakers) again fashionable type for a teenager.
    Put on a coat and pull up the hood,

The majority of highlanders, dont ever wear a kilt, if they do, it's only a hired one at a wedding and there a few kilt hire shops in the highlands its a major trip to Inverness, Oban or Stornoway.
    Many these days don't even own a Saxon suit. If they do its then its a dark one for weddings AND funerals...

Actually I've just thought on that, the majority always only have owned one suit (at a time) as I have, there is just not the requirement for more. The most often ive been at suited / formal occations in a year is 10 times. That is almost certainly more than most people, so spending 500 pounds or more on a kilt is just not an option.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Highlander in question has clearly not been drawn into the kilt addiction we so often hear about! Many contributions suggest there is an irresistable urge to but more and more kilts and accessories.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    While enjoying you humor,

Sadly for most highlanders today it's,
    Pull on a pair of jeans, the latest fashionable type if you're a teenager
    Pull on a sweat shirt, advertising your football team,
    Put on a pair of trainers ( sneakers) again fashionable type for a teenager.
    Put on a coat and pull up the hood,

The majority of highlanders, dont ever wear a kilt, if they do, it's only a hired one at a wedding and there a few kilt hire shops in the highlands its a major trip to Inverness, Oban or Stornoway.
    Many these days don't even own a Saxon suit. If they do its then its a dark one for weddings AND funerals...

Actually I've just thought on that, the majority always only have owned one suit (at a time) as I have, there is just not the requirement for more. The most often ive been at suited / formal occations in a year is 10 times. That is almost certainly more than most people, so spending 500 pounds or more on a kilt is just not an option.
    The last 2 paragraphs are true on this side of the pond, as well. Before discovering my ancestry and enjoyment of the kilt, I had not worn a suit in over 10 years, and the suit I had worn was purchased because I had a wedding and a funeral to attend that year. I would love a wool kilt in Ancient Watson (or modern!), but spending 500 dollars or more is just not an option, either.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    The last 2 paragraphs are true on this side of the pond, as well. Before discovering my ancestry and enjoyment of the kilt, I had not worn a suit in over 10 years, and the suit I had worn was purchased because I had a wedding and a funeral to attend that year. I would love a wool kilt in Ancient Watson (or modern!), but spending 500 dollars or more is just not an option, either.
    I must admit, I haven't got a full wool tank yet, only PVs
    A, I'm on a diet at the moment, its permanent and my weight hasn't settled yet.
    B, There are at least 32 Stewart tartans to choose from where do I start? Plus I want the RAF kilt as well.
    C, I've just about got the money now for the first wool kilt.
    D, I think i can convince SWMBO, for my 60th in two years time, when my RAF pension starts, to Allow An RAF Kilt,
    E, I do have the problem She LIKES buying from charity shops, and not spending money. Well she is from Yorkshire!
    Last edited by The Q; 31st August 15 at 08:51 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great stuff Liam!

While I own a few kilts and a good number of accouterments, I generally follow this advice. I am not a highlander nor am I Scottish. But I do always want to look my best and the modern highlander examples I have seen on this site inspire my sartorial choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mikilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Choose the kilt you wish to wear - this is easy because you only have one.
    Knew I went wrong somewhere.
    "Don't go for the one." -Gaelic Storm-
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posts one and two put the situation pretty well. Post one, section 10, I would take issue with. No Highlander worth his salt would wear a black barathea argyll to a wedding, unless it was formal(morning coat equivalent). Otherwise a tweed argyll would be the jacket of choice---well actually its probably the only one they have. In passing a tweed argyll would be worn to funerals too and care would be needed to be taken as one Christian denomination( common to the Highlands and Islands), would frown on the kilt being worn at a funeral.

A fun thread with very good points made.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st August 15 at 07:47 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which option lets me wear one of my funny t-shirts?
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jordan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Which option lets me wear one of my funny t-shirts?
    Someone confused between posts 1 and 2!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast