X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review: Isle of Skye from Woollen Mill

Ok so after seeing the post on the Woollen Mill off-the-peg kilts I decided to try one. I ordered the the Isle of Skye in a 38. It was sent out Royal Mail lat Thursday and I received it today. Not bad for only $20 worth of shipping. Total cost including shipping was a hair over $240. Now that is not cheap for an off-the-peg kilt but it is made with Marton Mills 13 oz Isle of Skye, so it's not cheap material and it is properly licensed.

To start this is the most impressive off-the-peg kilt I have seen. To compare, the SWK heavyweights are nice for the price but they are not in the same league as this. They are also 1/2 the price.

The selvedge edge is perfect and the hand of the fabric is top end. The colours are a bit softer than show up with these pics. They are the colours you expect from the IoS.

There are no basting stitches in the pleats and the kilt was shipped in side two plastic mail bags. this pic was taken within minutes of the package arriving and as you can see the pleats certainly don't look like they just made a transatlantic trip.

To contradict what McClef said in his review, they do not remove the insides of the pleats along the fell. It looks and feels ok when it's on so it should be fine. Because they don't cut the pleats out there is no stiffener inside the back, just a short lining. This is the same technique used by SWK. I think it probably works fine when you are dealing with 13 oz material but I think it would be a bit bulky for heavier weights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very fine review, factual and concise. And a darn fine looking garment to boot! Enjoy!
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review part 2

So obviously I had to try the kilt on. It feels very nice and I think it looks quite good as well. It certainly doesn't feel like a custom tailored kilt but it is far beyond any other off-the-peg I have tried on so far. The buckles (which always seem to be a complaint on the cheaper kilts) are no problem here. The are substantial and what you would get on most made to order kilts.

Of course the required pleat shot. The pleats are very nice being slightly more than 2 1/2" deep

With the side shot you can get a glimpse at the triple fringe which I think is a nice touch for a ready made kilt.

All-in-all I'm quite happy with the kilt. I wish I had ordered the 36 since I am still loosing weight. Would I order it again...not sure. I wear mostly made-to-measure kilts but I might. On the other hand I might seriously think about spending the other $80 for the made-to-measure version of this kilt. Who knows this one may be for sale soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must've missed McClef's review. How many yards is this kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoo Bradley View Post
    I must've missed McClef's review. How many yards is this kilt?
    It's listed as a 6 yard kilt and the 38" waist is just over 6 yards by my measurement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the length?
    His Grace Lord Stuart in the Middle of Fishkill St Wednesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, looks great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
    What's the length?
    The actual length is 23 1/2".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Chef and am pleased that you like it.

As to what you disagree with on my review I will have to check back and see if I somehow misunderstood the question or whether mine is different in that area etc.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast