X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    4,298
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    White Tie Etiquette

    This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

    It's not often that one has the opportunity to wear White Tie, certainly not in the UK. The velvet Regulation Doublet that I'm having made was not ready and my old Meyer and Mortimer one was with the tailor for use as the template. I therefore had to go for the third option, a doublet that I purchased for the 1927 hallmarked buttons. It is a little tired and I had to replace the missing lace cuffs but it worked quite well I think.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220222 - Apothecaries-sm.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	41287


  2. #2
    Join Date
    7th February 08
    Location
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good! 👍
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

  3. #3
    Join Date
    26th December 18
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splendid!

    If I ever have the chance to attend a white tie event, my plan is a very similar outfit to what you're wearing here.

    Shane

  4. #4
    Join Date
    11th November 21
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard it claimed that black tie kilt outfits are suitable and proper for otherwise white tie occasions.

    But honestly that always felt off to me – that looks a lot more fitting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    4,298
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regimental View Post
    I’ve heard it claimed that black tie kilt outfits are suitable and proper for otherwise white tie occasions.

    But honestly that always felt off to me – that looks a lot more fitting.
    I agree, and it's nice to have the opportunity to wear White Tie.

    Here's the (slightly tongue-in-cheek) guidance from the organisation at which I was a guest.

    Can I wear black tie/dinner Jacket at a white tie event?

    At xxx White Tie events, we sometimes say “Dinner Jacket Permissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by your pet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, or beamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather than be deprived of your conversation. No other reason is wholly acceptable, although guests are more easily forgiven.

  6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    17th December 14
    Location
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wonderful Highland expression!

    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

    It's not often that one has the opportunity to wear White Tie, certainly not in the UK. The velvet Regulation Doublet that I'm having made was not ready and my old Meyer and Mortimer one was with the tailor for use as the template. I therefore had to go for the third option, a doublet that I purchased for the 1927 hallmarked buttons. It is a little tired and I had to replace the missing lace cuffs but it worked quite well I think.



    Absolutely wonderful Peter. Quite elegant.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    9,833
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about white tie etiquette, but I have noticed that in Victorian photos the wearing of white tie with dark waistcoat was fairly common.



    After 1900 the jabot started getting popular, and in many photos it's hard to tell whether it's a tie or jabot, the way the white washes out.

    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th August 22 at 05:29 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  9. #8
    Join Date
    13th March 05
    Location
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Posts
    3,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

    After 1900 the jabot started getting popular, and in many photos it's hard to tell whether it's a tie or jabot, the way the white washes out.

    Richard, I curious about your take on the piper on the left. He seems to have around ten medals hanging from his doublet. Would these be piping awards, do you think?
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

  10. #9
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    15,035
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I agree, and it's nice to have the opportunity to wear White Tie.

    Here's the (slightly tongue-in-cheek) guidance from the organisation at which I was a guest.

    Can I wear black tie/dinner Jacket at a white tie event?

    At xxx White Tie events, we sometimes say “Dinner Jacket Permissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by your pet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, or beamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather than be deprived of your conversation. No other reason is wholly acceptable, although guests are more easily forgiven.
    That sounds perfectly reasonable to me!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    27th February 13
    Location
    Winnpeg
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=figheadair;1397927]This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

    It's not often that one has the opportunity to wear White Tie, certainly not in the UK. The velvet Regulation Doublet that I'm having made was not ready and my old Meyer and Mortimer one was with the tailor for use as the template. I therefore had to go for the third option, a doublet that I purchased for the 1927 hallmarked buttons. It is a little tired and I had to replace the missing lace cuffs but it worked quite well I think.

    [/QUOTE

    Do you have photos of the buttons?

  12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to piperalpha For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0