X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhenry View Post
    in the UK they are indeed brackets, although we might know what parentheses are, but unlikely to use that word in general conversation

Hmmm, didn't know that.

On my keyboard, what I am calling parentheses, are the shift of 9 and 0 making the symbols (). [ and ], next to the letter "p," are the symbols we seem to call brackets over here. There are also left and right braces, {} which are the shift of the brackets.

The brackets, as we call them here, are used for the VB code, and some of the CSS code for style sheets used with HTML.
    There is also the < and > symbols, which I've heard called brackets of some sort, but they are the main thingies used in HTML.

Like I said, I hate myself for bringing it up.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Hmmm, didn't know that.

On my keyboard, what I am calling parentheses, are the shift of 9 and 0 making the symbols (). [ and ], next to the letter "p," are the symbols we seem to call brackets over here. There are also left and right braces, {} which are the shift of the brackets.

The brackets, as we call them here, are used for the VB code, and some of the CSS code for style sheets used with HTML.
    There is also the < and > symbols, which I've heard called brackets of some sort, but they are the main thingies used in HTML.

Like I said, I hate myself for bringing it up.
    over here

( ) are brackets [ ] are square brackets { } are curly brackets

and yes there are the < > things as well ,possibly chevron brackets, not sure!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Ted, this technodunce is defeated! I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. LOL
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! Thank goodness and thank you Paul, for interpreting.---------I think! LOL
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about it, Jock, it's worse than algebra, formal logic, and grammar mixed together

Paul, I guess I have heard them called square brackets, and curly brackets, now that I think of it. I would guess it is the same way in Canada for CMcG
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parenthetically speaking, I think this topic has been well bracketed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhenry View Post
    . . . there are the < > things as well . . .
    which are called "angle brackets" in the US.

"No man is genuinely happy, married, who has to drink worse whiskey than he used to drink when he was single." ---- H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123