X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belts...What do you guys wear w/casual kilts?

I'm trying to get an idea what most of you wear with your casual kilts. I've been looking at the large buckles and 2 1/4" wide belts, but darn they are expensive. Wouldn't a plain black belt from a department store work just as well for casual? Curious what your thoughts are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

That is what I do, but I try to keep it looking appropriate, even though it may not be Celtic. I have also gone to the surplus store and picked up web belts that match the kilt I am wearing.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilt belt with almost all my kilts, except the denim one I wear for dirty jobs, like painting. With that I wear a regular leather belt with a Kenworth trucks buckle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a big belt with a nice traditional silver buckle BUT I found a really cool Celtic design on a round shape buckle (birds/crosses). I attach the buckle to a smaller width belt, I bought it from the guy who sold me the buckle. This vendor was just in my local shopping mall and mostly was a leather belt dealer. I got chatting with him about what I wanted the belt for and he pulled out the buckle and I knew that it must be mine. The buckle is pewter so it does have that shine my traditional buckle does. I figure if I am wearing my kilt in a casual manner it is nice to have a casual buckle and it doesn't hurt that this buckle sometimes causes more attention then my kilt.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surplus Store always have great bargains. I paid $15 for a 2" wide belt which works really well with my Utilikilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's plenty of farmers round here who hold their trousers up with a length of bailer twine. But I don't suppose thats what you're looking for.
    Army surplus webbing belt can look good depending on the colours/s in your kilt. It's been said before -you'll soon be walking round markets/shops actively looking for non kilt things that you can use with your kilt.
    Cheers Rhino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother in law gave me a rather thick weathered-looking brown belt with an also weathered simple brass buckle. I don't often wear brown but it looks really good with my Barleyjuice Philabeg from USA Kilts.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, when i began wearing kilts I thought I had to wear a 'proper' kilt belt with large silver buckle.

Now I wear whatever belt I like, from 30mm to 50mm wide.
    I do like to match the leather with the sporran, whether black or brown.

I recently bought a green sporran from R Kilts, now I need a green belt!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a Green Blet to match your Green Sporran, eh?
    I wonder what green Item will you be buying next? Perhaps a Green Jacket? a Green Vest? or a Green Tie? or an Bear Green Irish Kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually either wear my 1 3/4" Duty belt, a 2" Sam Browne belt or my custom made MacKenzie belt that's 2 1/2". Although, I usually keep the MacKenzie belt for my black workman's only. All the studs and such don't really go with any of the other kilts.

Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast