X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas comes early for me!

That's what it feels like.

I watch Ebay for used/vintage Highland Dress, for jackets and kilts and Ghillies in my size.

These rarely come up, due to my size (6'4" and 17 stone, size 14 shoes).

A used kilt jacket in my size will come up every few years, and I'll buy it. I see dozens, hundreds, of used kilt jackets in size 38 and 40 for every one in size 48 or 50.

Imagine how thrilled I was to buy TWO used kilt jackets in the space of one week! Both in great condition (according to the sellers) and with labels from established firms.

First, a week ago, a lovely blue tweed Argyll from Cooper & McKenzie, Dundee for $140

and second, yesterday, a typical black piper's Argyll from Lochcarron for $75

I'm not the biggest fan of those black Argylls but they are a must-have for pipers (every pipe band I've been in wears them).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th November 18 at 05:22 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, good price and nice jackets.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the finds! I also look for used items on ebay, and recently found this tweed jacket. For me it's rare to find one small enough (size 36). I was able to get it for $45.
    Last edited by jhughes; 11th November 18 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added photo.

5. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to jhughes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking looking jacket and helluva find at that price, you'd probably pay around 200 for it if buying new.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow J that's a beautiful jacket! Love the colour, the cuffs, the classy shape of the pocket flaps.

Wearing brown tweed with the Black Watch tartan can't help but bring to mind the well-known MacLeay portrait:

It's funny how we're at opposite ends of the sizing spectrum, 36 and 50! Oh to be a size 40! There's loads of stuff on Ebay for those lucky gents. I do see this Harris Tweed size 36 kilt jacket though https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Harr...QwN:rk:25:pf:0

Not had a chance to actually wear my finds yet, but I quickly took a couple picks of the Lovat Blue tweed jacket with my IOS kilt, trying my two brown sporrans.

Vintage sporran picked up cheaply on Ebay:

1950s MOD cantle with new purse made by Artificer:

By the way J, I hadn't thought of wearing my Stetson with my kilt... perhaps I should!

Last edited by OC Richard; Yesterday at 07:02 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

I like that Stetson! I have the same hat, mine is sage green with tan trim. I wore it yesterday, but not with my kilt.

Here in China, the green hat has a humorous connotation. In Chinese, the phrase "wearing the green hat" apparently sounds very close to "my wife is cheating on me." So a man in a green hat elicits a few chuckles. On the other hand, every man in the Chinese army wears a green hat as part of his uniform

Andrew

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of the Stratoliner! And the Open Road esp vintage ones.

That colour Cornhill is very nice. Next I want one in Caribou.

Funny about that phrase in Chinese! So much humour doesn't translate.

When I was in Japan, around 15 years ago, I met an extremely intelligent and interesting woman (a Professor of English at a University in Tokyo) who had been awarded the job of translating all the episodes of the American TV show Friends into Japanese. I and the other Americans tried to explain to her that that wouldn't work well. Yes it was a great gig! A more power to her for landing that gig! But it's fruitless.

To demonstrate we began telling jokes. The stupid ones, like "two peanuts were walking down the street, one was assaulted" and though she understood the literal meaning perfectly well the jokes weren't funny to her.

The best thing would be to throw away the original English scripts and soundtrack, and hire a team of Japanese comedy writers to write entirely new scripts, funny for the Japanese, that more or less corresponded to the images seen onscreen. The storyline of the original script is irrelevant.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: