X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Hose color

  1. #1
    Join Date
    25th June 18
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hose color

    Alright. For my brothers wedding in September I will be wearing a Sutherland tartan kilt. Wight shirt with a black bow tie and black waistcoat is a afternoon wedding and pretty relaxed so I will be wearing a leather day sporran and dock martins. My question is what color hose to wear. And if I can't get flashes Sutherland
    to match the kilt what color should I get

  2. #2
    Join Date
    14th May 18
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, some people would recommend solid colour hoses. But personally, I would get tartan hose to match your kilt.

    I have a Royal Stewart kilt with Royal Stewart flashes.

    The ancient Clan Wallace, Clan Bruce and Clan Murray. But please don't forget, the Grant and the Gordon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    4th November 16
    Location
    South Jersey, US
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's to be semi-casual, then tartan hose would probably be over-the-top. Were it me wearing a Sutherland Modern kilt, I'd probably go with a lighter shade of blue or green. And perhaps darker flashes in the other color, i.e. navy blue with ancient green or bottle green with lovat blue. Or I might go with a neutral shade like bison or grey, with red flashes to tone with the red stripe of the tartan. I can't really think of any colors that wouldn't go with that particular kilt, but that's just personally what I'd choose....maybe. The longer I think about it, the more other possibilities come to mind. Sorry if that's not much help.

    And, if the tartan flashes didn't come with the kilt, I wouldn't recommend buying them separately. Every mill has its own particular dyes, and the colors can even vary from one lot to another, so the odds of getting a perfect match are rather slim.
    Last edited by Dollander; 13th July 18 at 08:11 PM.

  4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    6th April 05
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really any color that will compliment the tartan. I think Dolander gave you some pretty good suggestions. You'd be surprised how many colors will compliment a tartan. I'd go with self tie garters in a solid contrast color or perhaps to match a color in the tartan. I've never been a fan of the tartan pointy flashes. Also, I agree, tartan hose are usually reserved for white tie or very formal black tie occasions. As they say around here, you'll be over egging the cake with tartan hose

  6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    10th December 06
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,629
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use any colour from the kilt itself, blue or green would work well, with solid red garter ties rather than flashes, these are more comfortable than flashes in my experience so I never wear the flashes anymore. If it were me though I would get a pair of claret coloured hose with matching garter ties from House of Cheviot, these will last you years and are very comfortable.

    As for tartan hose, they are wonderful to own, I have a couple of pair for a couple of tartans but would not wear them for a wedding unless I was the groom and even then I would have to consider a lot before wearing them.

  8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    27th December 16
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two trains of thought on any kilt accessory colors are match and contrast, flashes and Kilt hose are no exception. There are those who would match kilt host to a color in the kilt and those that go for a contrasting color. Some like the tartan flashes while others do not. I don't know if it more regional or simply personal fashion. Personally I normally go for black and charcoal hose as they can go with anything and are the sock colors that I wore with pants before getting a kilt. For flashes I prefer woven ribbons, either solid color or striped, that in my opinion work with the tartan on the kilt.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    13,539
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elperrogrande View Post
    Alright. For my brothers wedding in September I will be wearing a Sutherland tartan kilt. Wight shirt with a black bow tie and black waistcoat is a afternoon wedding and pretty relaxed so I will be wearing a leather day sporran and dock martins. My question is what color hose to wear. And if I can't get flashes Sutherland
    to match the kilt what color should I get
    Well alright, as you are asking. From a traditional Scot's point of view from Scotland, the matching of things is not an a serious consideration. Tartan flashes are best not worn---ever, nor would we wear a black bow tie during the day---we don't want to look like a waiter or a snooker player, do we? Claret hose and blue flashes might well be worth a thought. Just a further thought for you to also consider, are boots really suitable for weddings? Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th July 18 at 02:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  11. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well alright, as you are asking. From a traditional Scot's point of view from Scotland, the matching of things is not an a serious consideration. Tartan flashes are best not worn---ever, nor would we wear a black bow tie during the day---we don't want to look like a waiter or a snooker player, do we? Claret hose and blue flashes might well be worth a thought. Just a further thought for you to also consider, are boots really suitable for weddings? Hope this helps.
    Never a truer word.........

  13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    25th June 18
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well traditional 8 am far from. I am the guy that shows up to the wedding in jeans .I have never worn a suit and I got Maried myself in jeans and a t shirt with black docks on. Mind you I got Maried in Vegas by Elvis and ride I to the desert on a Harley after. This wedding will be pretty laid back and I doubt there will be a whole lot of full suits. A few shirt and ties yes but not a lot of full suits.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    10th December 06
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,629
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elperrogrande View Post
    Well traditional 8 am far from. I am the guy that shows up to the wedding in jeans .I have never worn a suit and I got Maried myself in jeans and a t shirt with black docks on. Mind you I got Maried in Vegas by Elvis and ride I to the desert on a Harley after. This wedding will be pretty laid back and I doubt there will be a whole lot of full suits. A few shirt and ties yes but not a lot of full suits.
    In that case I would say don't bother with the black waistcoat and bow tie. Take a look at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread here

    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

    I would also say look for the Traditional Highland Civilian Dress: A Definition and Guide with Visual Examples thread here

    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...xamples-85511/

    You will see you can dress it down a bit from the black waistcoat and bow tie and still look great, the point of this is thatr you would most likely fit in with the formaility of the other guests.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0