X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please explain the belt.

OK, I'll admit (again) I don't have a kilt belt. Don't feel odd in the least. But, it seems someone here gets admonished daily for not wearing a belt. So, explain the belt to me. I understand there is one for day and an embossed on for evening? Belts are advertised from about $12 to $100, don't look much different. What buckle?
    Not sure I'm going to get one, but I am thinking.
    Thanks
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thornton
    OK, I'll admit (again) I don't have a kilt belt. Don't feel odd in the least. But, it seems someone here gets admonished daily for not wearing a belt. So, explain the belt to me. I understand there is one for day and an embossed on for evening? Belts are advertised from about $12 to $100, don't look much different. What buckle?
    Not sure I'm going to get one, but I am thinking.
    Thanks
    David

get whatever pleases you! just make sure that the kilt belt and buckle fit together!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best bang for buck on kilt belts I've seen is from Stillwater Kilts. Nice leatherwork and quite acceptable buckle for very reasonable $$. Check it out...

http://pro.channeladvisor.com/storef...d=55946&mpid=1

They carry both brown and black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found, in my case at least, the belt is mainly decoration as the kilt will stay up quite well without. I do wear a belt on the occasions that I use sporran hangers in place of a strap. Usually a 1.5 or 1.75 inch plain leather with plain buckle.
    I do have a 2.25 inch kilt belt, black, with a fairly plain chrome buckle for more formal wear. I think it does add something to the look but I wouldn't use it for everyday wear.
    Matt's boxpleated kilts are normally made with no belt loops and a belt isn't worn with a vest so I go without quite a bit. Makes accessorizing that much easier.

I agree with the recomendation of the belts from Stillwater, very good for the price.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I find the Kilt belt useful for two reasons. First off for those of us who need them, it's the best place to clip your cell phone if you ask me.

But the most important reason for the kilt belt is the visual clue afforded by the belt. As a society we've grown accustomed to the presence of the belt as the transition point from lower body to upper body garment. Going without a belt is more relaxed.

So when I look at myself in a kilt without a belt I see a person ready for relaxation, maybe a few beers, and a good night in front of the TV watching a game or some really bad movie.

On the other hand, when I see myself in a kilt with my kilt belt on, I see a person who is ready for company or business. It just looks more put together in my opinion.

Oh, and I just thought of one more thing. For the vain among us a kilt belt can also hide the kilt straps so no one can tell that the buckle is straining at the absolutely last hole!

Just kidding. In truth, even though my kilt belt provides absolutely no useful purpose except when I'm not wearing a coat or jacket and need a place to keep my cell phone. I don't wear it through the belt loops and it does nothing to hold up my kilt. But without it the kilt just doesn't look right to me.

I guess I'm a rank traditionalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My everyday belt is a tool belt 3" wide I bought at Menards. They carry them at Home Depot too I think. Nice heavy leather with a two prong roller buckle. Got it pretty cheap too, $9 on sale.

yoippari is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my stillwater belt with my stillwater out of necessity. I bought the kilt slightly big since my waist is boarder line and it turns out it is too big, so I have to use the belt to hold the kilt up. With my wool kilt I don't wear it because I am still adjusting it (the belt) to not slide up my back when I sit.

I have the sporran on a leather pants belt about 1" thick set to the last notch, so I still have that transition between top and bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a cheap basic 2.25" kilt belt and buckle off ebay and was surprised to see how thin the leather was. Worn in conjunction with my USA Casual I felt the size of the buckle was out of proportion to the kilt as the casual is worn at the level of pants. Perhaps for a formal occasion it would be appropriate to wear the more traditional buckle but for my taste I'm partial to the belt I found at Wal-Mart for $11.00

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25619265SSaqWz

It has a great brushed nickle buckle and is 1.75" wide and very thick. The pebbeled texture nearly matches my buzz kidder sporran and as you might see in the photo I bought a second one and cut it down to make a matching sporran strap.

I personally feel the less flashy belt allows the kilt to blend into a more contemporary daily look better than a large ornamental buckle.

But if you like a military look, here's a site you can find several different styles, though colors are limited.

https://www.paradestore.com/main_frame.asp?ap=belts
    Last edited by cavscout; 21st November 05 at 11:16 PM.

toadinakilt
    i hate the stillwater belt. the buckle lies funny, not straight at all, and the leather smells really bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not big on the whole buckle thing -- too Elvis for me. I just bought a plain black belt cheap an one of the local bargain stores, I think it was Daffys or H&M. Also, many times I go without a belt. Especially if I am wearing a sweater or something that covers up anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast