X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    6th August 18
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Possible spotting of an estate tweed on the wrong side of the pond

    I was out to breakfast with my lady yesterday and we saw a middle-aged chap who stood out among the crowd by being well-dressed. What immediately struck me was his tweed jacket.

    It was a nice brown tweed with subtle gold windowpanes in a three-by-three pattern. He stood next to us in line to pay and I could see that the brown was actually made up of many different colors of thread. Overall it was a very fine garment!

    I complimented him on it and he thanked me but had no hint of having come from the other side of the Atlantic.

    I will say that this looked very much like an estate tweed based on the photos I've seen on this site and elsewhere but I have no idea how such a thing might have happened! Or it could be that since estate tweed just looks nice, some vendors copy the style without regard to the origins.
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One five-yard semi-traditional in Armstrong Ancient 13oz from Lochcarron

  2. #2
    Join Date
    25th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada 1123.6536.5321
    Posts
    5,186
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweed is a fabric woven of yarns containing many colors.

    And Tweed fabric may have stripes and bands woven into it.

    Is it possible that you were seeing one of the thousands of windowpane Tweeds?



    If the Tweed fabric you saw had small flecks of yellow, red, blue etc. what you may have seen was a distinctive fabric called donegal Tweed.

    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 6th May 19 at 09:06 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

  3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    26th September 05
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were in Indiana, you might have seen me wearing this jacket that day?



    https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html

  5. #4
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    14,001
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I was out to breakfast with my lady yesterday and we saw a middle-aged chap who stood out among the crowd by being well-dressed. What immediately struck me was his tweed jacket.

    It was a nice brown tweed with subtle gold windowpanes in a three-by-three pattern. He stood next to us in line to pay and I could see that the brown was actually made up of many different colors of thread. Overall it was a very fine garment!

    I complimented him on it and he thanked me but had no hint of having come from the other side of the Atlantic.

    I will say that this looked very much like an estate tweed based on the photos I've seen on this site and elsewhere but I have no idea how such a thing might have happened! Or it could be that since estate tweed just looks nice, some vendors copy the style without regard to the origins.
    As Steve has so rightly pointed out there are probably thousands of tweed patterns out there and of those, at a guess, I doubt that there are many more than five hundred Estate Tweed patterns in use, or for that matter, even designed. We must also remember that Estate tweed patterns were and are primarily used as camouflage for that particular patch of Scotland. So to those who don't understand, they can look rather out of place on Inverness High Street, or, down town New York! Although, I think the general description of "Gun Club" tweed patterns, was coined in the USA.

    We also need to remember that some estates no longer exist. So that particular Estate tweed pattern is now redundant. There are also other reasons for these tweeds becoming obsolete such as, an estate may be sold and the new owner may choose to design his own tweed pattern. Or, a new wife arrives at the Estate and decides the old pattern won't do. It happens! Also, its a fairly expensive exercise to have your own tweed woven, so these days, many estates give their staff a clothing allowance to purchase kit suitable for estate work. To be honest, whilst there is an awful lot to be said in favour for tweed for Estate work and it really does look the part, there are some modern materials that probably suit the work much more efficiently.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th May 19 at 03:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    6th August 18
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Tweed is a fabric woven of yarns containing many colors.

    And Tweed fabric may have stripes and bands woven into it.

    Is it possible that you were seeing one of the thousands of windowpane Tweeds?
    It looked very much like that but with a more complex gold thread pattern.
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One five-yard semi-traditional in Armstrong Ancient 13oz from Lochcarron

  8. #6
    Join Date
    6th August 18
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    If you were in Indiana, you might have seen me wearing this jacket that day?



    https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html
    Wisconsin but that jacket is close. Thanks, all!
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One five-yard semi-traditional in Armstrong Ancient 13oz from Lochcarron

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0