X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Question About Dirks

Printable View

• 14th March 06, 11:09 PM
    GlassMan
    Question About Dirks
    I just got an inexpensive dirk in the mail today that I had ordered. I wasn't expecting exceptional quality or a great blade because of the price. And I only got it so that I could wear it at my wedding to complete the outfit. Since it's not for use and most people will be seated in pews an okay distance away from me, no one will notice any minor imperfections.

Well, it arrived and I'm pleasantly surprised by it. It actually looks much better than I'd expected.

So here's my question. Since I've never actually seen a picture of someone wearing one, does one wear it on the right or left hand side?

I know it seems silly but it's not something that occured to me until it arrived.
  • 15th March 06, 12:14 AM
    billmcc
    GlassMan,

I have no idea which side a dirk should be worn on.
    Where did you get the dirk and how much did it cost?
  • 15th March 06, 12:17 AM
    kiltimabar
    I was told it goes on the right, so that with your targe on your left arm, you can draw it easily with your left hand; your broadsword being in your right hand, of course. The broadsword scabbard is hanging from a baldric on the left side.

No broadsword? Oh, dear. According to the "traditional" rules, which are usually taken to be what the Victorians favored, the style was to clap on as many weapons as possible, including all the edged weapons cited above, plus the sgian dubh, a couple of Highland pistols stuck in the belt, and a powderhorn. The claymore was optional.

Nowadays the sgian dubh is the only one still common, but losing ground in the face of security concerns and weapons restrictions; the dirk is almost gone, and the others have disappeared in polite society. Pity. What a spectacle was such garb--plaids with jeweled brooches, enormous goathair sporrans, displays of polished leather and gleaming silver--but I digress.

Congratulations! Wear that dirk wherever you feel comfortable and you'll make a fine show, I'm sure.
  • 15th March 06, 03:02 AM
    Robin
    What are you going to wear?

The dirk can be worn with a Montrose doublet...it's not common practise to wear it with a Prince Charlie jacket.

Right handed...right side. Oh...crap! need a belt...and no belt when wearing a PC...problems, problems :lol:
  • 15th March 06, 03:57 AM
    McRod
    I always wore my Dirk on the right side, [see first pic in my photo bucket]Mine never came with anything to attach it to the belt so i had to make a leather sleeve to get around the problem. Best wishes for the wedding, enjoy the day.hopr to see some pic's. :D
  • 15th March 06, 05:26 AM
    ByDand
    Glassman, wear it on the right side. I have never seen one worn on the left. You can wear it with a PC but it may push the side of the jacket up a little. Whether you wear it or not, have fun.
  • 15th March 06, 05:32 AM
    Bob C
    Yep. Wear it on the right side. If you need to wear a belt with your PC jacket to accomodate the dirk, you go right ahead and do that.

I had to buy a dirk frog to hang mine from my belt.
  • 15th March 06, 06:47 AM
    James
    The custom of wearing side arms has really lapsed, and unless also wearing a claybeg, a bit over the top.

However if worn, on the right side if right handed.

James
  • 15th March 06, 07:08 AM
    Mike S
    The custom of wearing the broadsword on the left hip, and the dirk on the right with Highland Dress is a regimental custom that has been adopted for pipeband and civilian wear since the 19th Century.

You will, however, see many period paintings and drawings of highland dress showing the dirk worn on the left hip. Albeit some of these depictions are possibly spurious in accuracy, left to the discretion of the artist, others are of such skill and fidelity of detail (and executed by reputable artists known for their adherence to "just the facts") that one has to consider them a quite reliable source.

Other than regimental style full dress such as pipeband attire etc., I agree that the dirk does look a bit out of place (save for the Burns supper haggis ceremony!).
  • 15th March 06, 07:40 AM
    auld argonian
    ...more cutlery, more belts to HOLD the cutlery...by the time you're fully outfitted you're going to be carrying another fifty pounds of steel and leather...

...I did like your original comment about not being too concerned about the quality of the dirk because the "audience" will be far enough away that they won't be able to see the difference. Back in my theatre days when we were up till four in the morning trying to finish painting scenery we'd always throw down the brushes and yell, "...oh, from forty feet away who's going to see the difference?"

Best

AA

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!