X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Sporran tassels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran tassels

Today I purchased two Rob Roy sporrans (one in black and one in brown). The fringe of the tassels have not been cut apart at the bottom. I assume this is for shipping purposes. So, would it be correct to cut them apart?

Thanks,
    Rex in Cincinnati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I had to do that to both of mine as well.

The urban village of Mt. Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. A few minutes and a sharp knife will take care of that quite easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you are talking about leather tassels. I'm not sure it has anything to do with shipping. How could it posibly make a difference? I think the point is to have the tassel look like a tassel without having all the strands going off in different directions, which might happen over time if you're not careful. I've seen a lot of leather tassles that are not seperated at the bottom. I haven't noticed any that have been cut apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planopiper
    I'm assuming you are talking about leather tassels. I'm not sure it has anything to do with shipping. How could it posibly make a difference? I think the point is to have the tassel look like a tassel without having all the strands going off in different directions, which might happen over time if you're not careful. I've seen a lot of leather tassles that are not seperated at the bottom. I haven't noticed any that have been cut apart.
    Doh! Too late! I already cut them. A silk or hair tassel will hang straight down, so I understand the concept.

My idea of a tassel is that the fringe does actually goes where it wants to. Yeah, I know leather is prone to curl and such, but I like that randomness.

Thanks for the input,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built a few tassels for a sporran, and because the tassels went in every direction I tied them together with a bit of fine black thread. This kept them together and allowed me to cut them off perfectly even.
    I left the thread in place and it is hardly noticable.
    “Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, taste the fruit, drink the drink, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” H.D. Thoreau