X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new film about Robert the Bruce out next month - The Outlaw King.

Not about kilts, unfortunately, but hopefully a more accurate depiction of the times than "Braveheart". It features many locations around Scotland, including Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, Doune Castle, Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh, Dunfermline Abbey where the Bruce is buried, Glasgow Cathedral, Mugdock Country Park just north of Glasgow, Aviemore, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, University of Glasgow, Blackness Castle on the River Forth just outside Edinburgh, and Berwick-upon-Tweed. So lots of scenery even if not a kilt or painted face in sight. The only appearance of William Wallace seemingly is a couple of body parts so not one for the squeamish I expect. An official trailer here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw - for a taster.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 19th October 18 at 01:44 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not getting very good reviews, unfortunately. Much grumbling about not using a Scots actor in the lead. But I suppose it needs to "sell" in the US.

Alan

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is there are many Scottish lead actors who sell very well in the U.S. Ewan MacGregor, Gerard Butler, James McEvoy come to mind right off. Not sure what the producers were thinking on that one.
    I for one am just hoping it is reasonably accurate historically to correct all the muck from Braveheart.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks promising, though I will reserve judgment until I see it. I do tend to agree that they should have used a Scottish actor. In this day and age, making a movie about a particular country's major historic events should be as accurate as possible - including the actors. I like Chris Pine and hope he does well in the role, but I would have preferred a real Scot.

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks fun

and I look forward to seeing it. I'm from a part of the entertainment world that doesn't really care about the issue of correct race, nationality, age or even look but that's a rarity in today's world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking forward to seeing this, if nothing else than for the chance to see actual scenes and site in Scotland.
    I also feel it is not a big deal if someone not Scottish plays a key role. This is entertainment after all, and there is no obligation to only cast natives. I can think of many British actors who do amazing jobs playing Americans. Many of them do so with no trace of their British accents.
    Finally, I don't really understand the constant snide comments about Braveheart. It was just a movie, and I don't believe Mel Gibson ever argued strenuously that is was all fact. I prefer to think of it as enjoyable tale with a hint of truth, and I can say that the film got me very interested in learning more about the history of the UK.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I seem to be the only one who mentioned Braveheart I don't want to be misunderstood. I thought the movie was very entertaining and it certainly gave a boost to attendance at highland games across the US and created great interest in all things Scottish. And it may have singlehandedly changed tourism in Scotland forever.
    The only issue I have is that it takes a lot of time to correct much of the creative license it took with many things Scottish, not the least is that people now think that Wm. Wallace was the "Braveheart" when he was not. Well, that and the whole blue face thing maybe.

No offense intended.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m very much looking forward to it. Here is an interesting review, the most positive one I`ve seen. http://www.medievalists.net/2018/09/...w-outlaw-king/

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    Since I seem to be the only one who mentioned Braveheart I don't want to be misunderstood.
    The only issue I have is that it takes a lot of time to correct much of the creative license it took with many things Scottish, not the least is that people now think that Wm. Wallace was the "Braveheart" when he was not. Well, that and the whole blue face thing maybe.

No offense intended.
    Sorry if I made it seem I was offended in any way. It will be interesting to compare the two films and see which is A. more entertaining and B. more accurate. Hopefully the new one will be both.
    Last edited by jumary; 19th October 18 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. I get Netflix and am now anxiously awaiting it.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast