X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Join Date
    3rd September 18
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A new film about Robert the Bruce out next month - The Outlaw King.

    Not about kilts, unfortunately, but hopefully a more accurate depiction of the times than "Braveheart". It features many locations around Scotland, including Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, Doune Castle, Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh, Dunfermline Abbey where the Bruce is buried, Glasgow Cathedral, Mugdock Country Park just north of Glasgow, Aviemore, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, University of Glasgow, Blackness Castle on the River Forth just outside Edinburgh, and Berwick-upon-Tweed. So lots of scenery even if not a kilt or painted face in sight. The only appearance of William Wallace seemingly is a couple of body parts so not one for the squeamish I expect. An official trailer here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw - for a taster.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 19th October 18 at 01:44 AM.

  2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    18th July 07
    Location
    North East Scotland
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not getting very good reviews, unfortunately. Much grumbling about not using a Scots actor in the lead. But I suppose it needs to "sell" in the US.

    Alan

  4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Olde New England
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is there are many Scottish lead actors who sell very well in the U.S. Ewan MacGregor, Gerard Butler, James McEvoy come to mind right off. Not sure what the producers were thinking on that one.
    I for one am just hoping it is reasonably accurate historically to correct all the muck from Braveheart.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

  6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Kerrville, Texas
    Posts
    5,143
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks promising, though I will reserve judgment until I see it. I do tend to agree that they should have used a Scottish actor. In this day and age, making a movie about a particular country's major historic events should be as accurate as possible - including the actors. I like Chris Pine and hope he does well in the role, but I would have preferred a real Scot.

  8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    6th May 10
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    looks fun

    and I look forward to seeing it. I'm from a part of the entertainment world that doesn't really care about the issue of correct race, nationality, age or even look but that's a rarity in today's world.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    23rd September 15
    Location
    Estero Florida, USA
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking forward to seeing this, if nothing else than for the chance to see actual scenes and site in Scotland.
    I also feel it is not a big deal if someone not Scottish plays a key role. This is entertainment after all, and there is no obligation to only cast natives. I can think of many British actors who do amazing jobs playing Americans. Many of them do so with no trace of their British accents.
    Finally, I don't really understand the constant snide comments about Braveheart. It was just a movie, and I don't believe Mel Gibson ever argued strenuously that is was all fact. I prefer to think of it as enjoyable tale with a hint of truth, and I can say that the film got me very interested in learning more about the history of the UK.

  11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Olde New England
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I seem to be the only one who mentioned Braveheart I don't want to be misunderstood. I thought the movie was very entertaining and it certainly gave a boost to attendance at highland games across the US and created great interest in all things Scottish. And it may have singlehandedly changed tourism in Scotland forever.
    The only issue I have is that it takes a lot of time to correct much of the creative license it took with many things Scottish, not the least is that people now think that Wm. Wallace was the "Braveheart" when he was not. Well, that and the whole blue face thing maybe.

    No offense intended.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

  13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    24th January 17
    Location
    Ellan Vannin
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumary View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this, if nothing else than for the chance to see actual scenes and site in Scotland.
    I also feel it is not a big deal if someone not Scottish plays a key role. This is entertainment after all, and there is no obligation to only cast natives. I can think of many British actors who do amazing jobs playing Americans. Many of them do so with no trace of their British accents.
    Finally, I don't really understand the constant snide comments about Braveheart. It was just a movie, and I don't believe Mel Gibson ever argued strenuously that is was all fact. I prefer to think of it as enjoyable tale with a hint of truth, and I can say that the film got me very interested in learning more about the history of the UK.
    Enjoyable movie with a hint of truth????

    The problem with that is people who are less objective and knowledgable take it as being the truth. And let's face it they strayed way off the grounds of just artistic licence when they got rid of Stirling Bridge (as well as losing the chance to make the movie far more spectacular). But at the same time they didn't exactly make it look so far fetched that some gullible people couldn't think it wasfaithful to the truth.

    At least 300 had all the ridiculous monsters in it making it clear it was so far fetched from the truth to give it no credibility as a reliable view of what happened (I took that as showing how the story teller had in the imagination of the children he was speaking to inspired a fantastical view of the battle to excite and inspire them).

    I think I would have given the movie more credibility (as a fantastic epic and a loosely based around history but not meant to be taken seriously) if Wallaces shiltron had trapped Surrey's army on the bridge which Wallace then destroyed with "Fireballs from his eyes & Bolts of Lightening from his ****" (and perhaps the help of a friendly dragon summonsed from the Abbey Craig)?...

  15. #9
    Join Date
    28th April 13
    Location
    SE QLD, Australia
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    Not about kilts, unfortunately, but hopefully a more accurate depiction of the times than "Braveheart". It features many locations around Scotland, including Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, Doune Castle, Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh, Dunfermline Abbey where the Bruce is buried, Glasgow Cathedral, Mugdock Country Park just north of Glasgow, Aviemore, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, University of Glasgow, Blackness Castle on the River Forth just outside Edinburgh, and Berwick-upon-Tweed. So lots of scenery even if not a kilt or painted face in sight. The only appearance of William Wallace seemingly is a couple of body parts so not one for the squeamish I expect. An official trailer here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw - for a taster.
    Just a minor correction, Although Berwick-upon Tweed is north of the border, it is part of England, in the county of Northumberland. Just saying...
    Regards, Sav.

    "The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

  16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    2nd May 08
    Location
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowEstate View Post
    Just a minor correction, Although Berwick-upon Tweed is north of the border, it is part of England, in the county of Northumberland. Just saying...
    It's actually about 4 km from the Border on the English side and has been English since 1482. Bruce's forces seized it from England (who had held it since 1296) in 1318 but it was to change hands several more times before 1482.

    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 21st October 18 at 07:21 PM.

  18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0