X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m also looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see the difference between the way they portray the Scots and the English. I’ve read several books on the Bruce so it will be interesting to see how noble or underhanded he is portrayed. The choice of actors is always interesting, it depends on who is available, what the budget is and whether they think the actor fits the part or if they can carry the film. Remember Hollywood chose the current most recognized Scottish actor, Sir Sean Connery, to play a Russian submarine captain with absolutely no attempt to hide or change his Scottish accent. I to would wish to see a Scottish actor in the lead role, hopefully Chris Pine can pull this off and do the Bruce and Scotland proud.
    Slainte David

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to the "Kilts in the Media" forum section.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    Not about kilts, unfortunately, but hopefully a more accurate depiction of the times than "Braveheart". It features many locations around Scotland, including Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, Doune Castle, Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh, Dunfermline Abbey where the Bruce is buried, Glasgow Cathedral, Mugdock Country Park just north of Glasgow, Aviemore, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, University of Glasgow, Blackness Castle on the River Forth just outside Edinburgh, and Berwick-upon-Tweed. So lots of scenery even if not a kilt or painted face in sight. The only appearance of William Wallace seemingly is a couple of body parts so not one for the squeamish I expect. An official trailer here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw - for a taster.
    Just a minor correction, Although Berwick-upon Tweed is north of the border, it is part of England, in the county of Northumberland. Just saying...
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Thread moved to the "Kilts in the Media" forum section.
    I have a colleague who saw Outlaw King last week (he's in the business) and whom said of it "I think you will be amazed with the look of it and the noticeable lack of plaids and tartan! Unlike Braveheart!!! "

Perhaps Kilts in the Media is the wrong thread

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowEstate View Post
    Just a minor correction, Although Berwick-upon Tweed is north of the border, it is part of England, in the county of Northumberland. Just saying...
    It's actually about 4 km from the Border on the English side and has been English since 1482. Bruce's forces seized it from England (who had held it since 1296) in 1318 but it was to change hands several more times before 1482.

Last edited by Bruce Scott; 21st October 18 at 07:21 PM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berwick upon Tweed has had a long history of changing ownership between Scotland and England. William Wallace's arm was displayed there when it was in English hands and Robert the Bruce's army captured it a few years later following the battle of Bannockburn. Even in modern times the population there has expressed a view to join with Scotland, possibly due to the perceived neglect that seems to happen to areas of the country far from the centre of things in London. Edward I (Longshanks) sacked the place and his army murdered some 20,000 of the inhabitants so it has had a chequered history and is completely relevant historically to any movie of the times.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

The Q is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole point of having a Scottish actor wouldn't be correct either, since he was of mixed descent, and his primary language was probably Norman French, with latin as a second language.
    Bruce being a coruption of IIRC Bruys in France and he something like Robert De Bruys the 8th,

Gérard Depardieu anyone?
    Last edited by The Q; 22nd October 18 at 03:13 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly I cannot find any Press reviews of the movie other than in Scottish titles apart from a brief mention of upcoming Netflix releases in the "Independent". Perhaps it is being regarded as purely for a Scottish audience and not of interest elsewhere which is a shame. New movie releases are usually plugged remorselessly on chat shows and the Press generally, even TV ads, but perhaps it is because release is not until November.
    I will keep my counsel over the merits or otherwise of the Chris Pine's accent until I see the movie. He has been quoted as replying diplomatically about whether the movie will encourage the kind of nationalist fervour and kilt-mania that "Braveheart" was allegedly responsible for - something I seriously doubt - and as The Q has said, patterns of speech in those days would have been quite different anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    Berwick upon Tweed has had a long history of changing ownership between Scotland and England. William Wallace's arm was displayed there when it was in English hands and Robert the Bruce's army captured it a few years later following the battle of Bannockburn. Even in modern times the population there has expressed a view to join with Scotland, possibly due to the perceived neglect that seems to happen to areas of the country far from the centre of things in London. Edward I (Longshanks) sacked the place and his army murdered some 20,000 of the inhabitants so it has had a chequered history and is completely relevant historically to any movie of the times.
    It is though referred to as a "Scottish Town" in "England" but also viewed as almost seperate from both.... The thing is spend a lot of time up that way though you realise that there is little difference either side despite the attempts of the Scottish Nationalists to make it appear as soon as you cross the border you are entering a culture wholly different from the other side - when in fact the reality is there's many children living on the English side with a Granny just up the road living on the Scottish side or vice versa.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumary View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this, if nothing else than for the chance to see actual scenes and site in Scotland.
    I also feel it is not a big deal if someone not Scottish plays a key role. This is entertainment after all, and there is no obligation to only cast natives. I can think of many British actors who do amazing jobs playing Americans. Many of them do so with no trace of their British accents.
    Finally, I don't really understand the constant snide comments about Braveheart. It was just a movie, and I don't believe Mel Gibson ever argued strenuously that is was all fact. I prefer to think of it as enjoyable tale with a hint of truth, and I can say that the film got me very interested in learning more about the history of the UK.
    Enjoyable movie with a hint of truth????

The problem with that is people who are less objective and knowledgable take it as being the truth. And let's face it they strayed way off the grounds of just artistic licence when they got rid of Stirling Bridge (as well as losing the chance to make the movie far more spectacular). But at the same time they didn't exactly make it look so far fetched that some gullible people couldn't think it wasfaithful to the truth.

At least 300 had all the ridiculous monsters in it making it clear it was so far fetched from the truth to give it no credibility as a reliable view of what happened (I took that as showing how the story teller had in the imagination of the children he was speaking to inspired a fantastical view of the battle to excite and inspire them).

I think I would have given the movie more credibility (as a fantastic epic and a loosely based around history but not meant to be taken seriously) if Wallaces shiltron had trapped Surrey's army on the bridge which Wallace then destroyed with "Fireballs from his eyes & Bolts of Lightening from his ****" (and perhaps the help of a friendly dragon summonsed from the Abbey Craig)?...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast