X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    It is though referred to as a "Scottish Town" in "England" but also viewed as almost seperate from both.... The thing is spend a lot of time up that way though you realise that there is little difference either side despite the attempts of the Scottish Nationalists to make it appear as soon as you cross the border you are entering a culture wholly different from the other side - when in fact the reality is there's many children living on the English side with a Granny just up the road living on the Scottish side or vice versa.
    And, of course, Scotland’s First Minister is one of those with a granny just down the road in England.
    My experience is that a distinctive culture, among other things, is one of the reasons that visitors choose to visit any place and Scotland is not unique in that respect. I can recount a conversation with an English angler who was quite adamant that he didn’t want to come to Scotland only to find the gillie was English! When we travel abroad we try to assimilate local culture as much as our limited vocabulary will allow so I would dispute any attempt to exploit cultural differences in the manner suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    And, of course, Scotland’s First Minister is one of those with a granny just down the road in England.
    My experience is that a distinctive culture, among other things, is one of the reasons that visitors choose to visit any place and Scotland is not unique in that respect. I can recount a conversation with an English angler who was quite adamant that he didn’t want to come to Scotland only to find the gillie was English! When we travel abroad we try to assimilate local culture as much as our limited vocabulary will allow so I would dispute any attempt to exploit cultural differences in the manner suggested.
    And I don't dispute that. But why make out local culture is what is isn't and never has been in some areas? That's as bad as eradicating a culture in the area where is is present...

Scotland is like the rest of the British Isles diversity. The irony is the guys calling the shots North of the border are pretty much the same as those south of it - generally just protecting their own interests....

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    And I don't dispute that. But why make out local culture is what is isn't and never has been in some areas? That's as bad as eradicating a culture in the area where is is present...

Scotland is like the rest of the British Isles diversity. The irony is the guys calling the shots North of the border are pretty much the same as those south of it - generally just protecting their own interests....
    Kindly desist from political discussions relating to modern issues. They are not permitted.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already a scheduled watch along via Twitter here in America

Interestingly I cannot find any Press reviews of the movie other than in Scottish titles apart from a brief mention of upcoming Netflix releases in the "Independent". Perhaps it is being regarded as purely for a Scottish audience and not of interest elsewhere which is a shame. New movie releases are usually plugged remorselessly on chat shows and the Press generally, even TV ads, but perhaps it is because release is not until November.
    I will keep my counsel over the merits or otherwise of the Chris Pine's accent until I see the movie. He has been quoted as replying diplomatically about whether the movie will encourage the kind of nationalist fervour and kilt-mania that "Braveheart" was allegedly responsible for - something I seriously doubt - and as The Q has said, patterns of speech in those days would have been quite different anyway.
    So the weekly Sunday night "Historians at the Movies" (#HATM) have schedule a watch along on 11 Nov at 5 p.m. PST - 8 p.m. EST where historians, and history lovers, can chime in using the above hash tag. It's been mentioned, not sure about how much promotion, for a while amongst that group. Anyone using twitter can join in. Just wanted to share.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RodF For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the movie does not include the battle of Bannockburn, surely the decisive battle in the Bruce's struggle and the one that decided Scottish independence until 1707. I wonder, therefore, why it was decided that the movie ends at the battle of Loudon Hill rather than carry on to what is regarded as the Bruce's true victory?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the movie does not include the battle of Bannockburn, surely the decisive battle in the Bruce's struggle and the one that decided Scottish independence until 1707. I wonder, therefore, why it was decided that the movie ends at the battle of Loudon Hill rather than carry on to what is regarded as the Bruce's true victory?
    I read somewhere, can`t recall where, that if this one does well there will be two more films.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dughlas mor View Post
    I read somewhere, can`t recall where, that if this one does well there will be two more films.
    That makes sense then, keep Bannockburn for the next one to get everyone back to see the bits they expected in the first one.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shock ,Horror - Robert the Bruce was ENGLISH!

As if it is not enough that the inventor of the fčileadh beag is supposed to have been Thomas Rawlinson, a Quaker from Lancashire in England, now we have a Medieval historian, Fiona Watson claiming in a new book that Robert the Bruce was “almost certainly born in Essex”, specifically the village of Writtle, near Chelmsford in that English county. Her book “Traitor, Outlaw, King” is available from Amazon.
    It seems that nothing is sacred.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

The Q is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point about Thomas Rawlinson, is that he was an Iron master in Scotland near Fort William, having half ownership of the works with the Chief of the Glengarry clan.

I doubt he designed the "new"kilt himself but would have asked his tailor / Seamstress to do something about the old Great kilt.. The Tailor or Seamstress almost certainly would have been a local resident.
    In those days of course those in charge get all the credit..

As for Bruce's origins, Him, King David, John De Balliol and others were all intermarried with Norman Knightly families who owned land both sides of the border and often in France (Normandy) as well. This is why I regard the disputes then between what is now Scotland and what is now England as more of a Norman feudal fight than racial fight..
    Last edited by The Q; 29th October 18 at 05:19 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly I cannot find any Press reviews of the movie other than in Scottish titles apart from a brief mention of upcoming Netflix releases in the "Independent".
    I found a number of reviews at the IMDB site. Just search for "IMDB Outlaw King". Look for "Reviews" (small print), users and critics.

Here's a rather positive review I found: https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/review/...jennie-kermode
    Last edited by KiltedSergeant; 31st October 18 at 12:41 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast