X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldrics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baldrics

I hope this isn't a repost. If it is, please forgive. I am looking for a baldric (sword sheath that hangs on the back, like what Mel Gibson wore in "Braveheart") for my broad sword (I hope I am using the proper term and spelling). I need one that will accomodate a sword that is 36 inches in length from tip to hand guard, 46 inches total length, including the pommel. The average price that I can find ranges from $100- $200 US dollars. Surely, there are baldrics for a much lower price for a little piece of leather and metal buckle.
    The sword is much too long and heavy to wear on my waiste. Any info and or web sites would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandcelt
    I hope this isn't a repost. If it is, please forgive. I am looking for a baldric (sword sheath that hangs on the back, like what Mel Gibson wore in "Braveheart") for my broad sword (I hope I am using the proper term and spelling). I need one that will accomodate a sword that is 36 inches in length from tip to hand guard, 46 inches total length, including the pommel. The average price that I can find ranges from $100- $200 US dollars. Surely, there are baldrics for a much lower price for a little piece of leather and metal buckle.
    The sword is much too long and heavy to wear on my waiste. Any info and or web sites would be very much appreciated.
    There is a guy at the Williamsburg games every year who sells a lot of different blades. I think he may have had some last year, but I'm not sure he sells them seperately or just with a sword.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not much of a history scholar so I hope you'll forgive me. I only knew Baldric as the Black Adders servant.

Cheers! Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm posting a link to bold blades.
    He has one holds up to a 43" blade.

http://www.boldblades.com/Claymores.html
    Nelson
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives"
    Braveheart

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Baldrick...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Chi
    I'm not much of a history scholar so I hope you'll forgive me. I only knew Baldric as the Black Adders servant.

Cheers! Bill
    "I have a cunning plan..."

"And they shot Nicholas the Second because he was bizzare!"

"I think you mean "The Tsar", Baldrick"! -- Capt. E. Blackadder

Apologies for the OT there, but I love the Black Adder!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandcelt
    I hope this isn't a repost. If it is, please forgive. I am looking for a baldric (sword sheath that hangs on the back, like what Mel Gibson wore in "Braveheart") for my broad sword (I hope I am using the proper term and spelling).
    Minor quibble - a "baldric" is any piece of cloth or leather hung from shoulder to hip across the torso, usually to hold a sword sheath/scabbard or a bugle.

You're looking for a baldric *and* a back sheath.

Museum Replicas, CAS Iberia, and others all carry them in varying sizes, but you'll likely have the best luck in contacting a local bootmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay item 6632555822. Buy It Now + shipping for under $70.

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Chi

Cheers! Bill
    It looks as though Old Harrovian Scot Hugh Laurie has reinvented himself as "House" - from Blackadder to Jeeves and Wooster to House. How's his American accent sound, by the way? Has anyone come across any pics of him in a kilt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laurie's American accent is impeccable...I had to look twice to be sure that it was THE Hugh Laurie. House is one of the "must see tee-vee" hours in our household and we are notoriously snooty about what we watch.

A search of the 'net may turn up am mp3 of Bertie Wooster singing "Forty Seven Ginger Headed Sailors", you know....

...and I do believe that I did see Mr. Laurie wearing a kilt to some awards ceremony or another recently. I mean, come on...if your were going to one of those awards show, wouldn't you?

Wasn't aware that they weren't showing "House" in the UK...you will enjoy it when you get it.

Best

AA

Moosehead is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya sick buggers! Blackadder fans, who'da thunk it!? Best shows ever made. All three volumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast