X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cider...

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cider...

Fall is here in the Ozarks, and this young man's thoughts are turning to...cider! :mrgreen:

Is anyone else a "ciderhead"? I prefer Woodchuck Cider from Vermont, but Woodpecker is nae sae bad either. I know Colin likes Strongbow, but it's difficult to find here in SW Missouri, like many other things...sigh.

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhh.. I love cider. My husband makes it this time of year, I guess I should drag him out to the apple farm soon!

I'm a big fan of Granny Smith, but will take a Strongbow if I'm not driving anywhere- that stuff packs a whallop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes a nice bit of warm apple cider, to keep the morning chill out of the bones, sigh.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Fall is here in the Ozarks, and this young man's thoughts are turning to...cider! :mrgreen:

Is anyone else a "ciderhead"? I prefer Woodchuck Cider from Vermont, but Woodpecker is nae sae bad either. I know Colin likes Strongbow, but it's difficult to find here in SW Missouri, like many other things...sigh.

Cheers,

Todd
    The place where I get my beer made now carries a knock off of Strong bow. Not as good as the original, but still pretty tasty. Raphael pointed out a really nice cider from Vancouver Island, but I can't remember the name of it now. Raph?

This time of year though I am all about the stouts and the single malts. Of course tea and plain hot apple cider are on my daytime drinking menu.

Maybe it's time for that trip to BC Todd? You could research MacKenzie's voyage. What was it about a hundred years before Lewis and Clark ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merridale Ciderworks Corp. It is a very small estate cidery in Cobble Hill, BC. They make barely enough to sell on site and to selected wine store in Vancouver. Their ciders are made with apple and wild flower honey. I wasn't a big fan of cider until I tried it.

their website is www.merridalecider.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a month late?

I'm making a Maryland / Virginia trip next month... I hope there's still a bit of color and cider there. Last time I went was Oct. and it was magnificent and got some fresh from the orchards around Monticello.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I drank nothing but Strongbows when we went to Scotland on our honeymoon, so it brings back fond memories. Closest place to us here that I know of to find it is in Atlanta. Thankfully my brother-in-law lives there and he can bring some up when he visits.

Woodchucks isn't bad, though!
    M

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raphael, we are lucky where we live. Quite a few Victoria pubs and restaurants (including my local pub) all serve Merridale on tap, so we can get it regularly. The cidery also has a booth at our beer festival; they usually turn up with a few different ciders, including their famous scrumpy.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

cormacmacguardhe is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking cider, the elixer of the goddess!

I drink only cider as my alcohol of choice. I prefer Woodchuck Dark and Dry, although their Granny Smith is a close second. My son just showed me a cider by a local cidery in Mount Vernon, Washington, the owner ages some of his cider in oak bourbon barrels, it gives it a slight whiskey flavor. I plan on making up some of my own soon, when I can get enough apples together.
    My fondest memories are of pressing cider with my father every fall. We had several different apple trees on our property, and just put all the different apples together, made a really great tasting cider. My father was a teatotaller, and set almost all of the cider aside to make vinegar. I tried to catch some of it before it had gone all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMmmmm I MUST love cider, after all I live in New York. We have cider runs around here. A LOT like a beer run, and sometimes we do let our cider go HARD. OHH HELL YEAH!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast