X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edinburgh tourist tax

News today that Edinburgh council plan to introduce a £2 a night tourist tax. What does everybody think about it, bearing in mind many other popular tourist places such as Venice have been imposing such a tax for a while?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost everywhere you go in the US has a hotel tax. I guess the issue is does it go into a general fund and disappear or is it earmarked for supporting tourism and infrastructure.

I just know every time I go to Edinburgh it is mobbed with tourists.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few observations

Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    What does everybody think about it, bearing in mind many other popular tourist places such as Venice have been imposing such a tax for a while?
    It's rather modest compared to the hotel taxes I see in Texas and elsewhere in the U.S.

It's interesting that they made it a flat rate per night. I'm much more accustomed to seeing hotel taxes that are a percentage of the cost.

Since this is a flat rate per visitor, it will impact the people staying at the cheapest accommodations (such as hostels) more than the people staying in high priced luxury hotels. Therefore, if it has any effect, it's going to be on the visitors who have the least money.

It taxes business travelers (and other travelers) regardless of whether they are tourists.

As with any hotel tax, it's a way to generate revenue while having minimal impact on most constituents.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím, currently, lunching in Palo Alto, Ca. The outcome of last Novemberís election, raised the hotel tax to 15.5%. Makes roughly $3.60/ night look like a bargain.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very popular in Ontario
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've paid tourist taxes when I have stayed in hotels in Canada and USA and it seems to be commonplace in North America.
    There is no precedent here in Scotland, and while the Scottish Government have previously set themselves against granting local authorities the powers to levy local tourist taxes there has recently been indication that they intend to review the matter.
    I think £2 per night is fairly modest and is unlikely to deter visitors.
    Although I live only 55 miles from Edinburgh, it is a city which I prefer to avoid, as I find it far too gimmicky and touristy.
    For a day out in the city I prefer to go west to Glasgow, or south across the border to Carlisle in the north of England.
    Vice-President and Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Nevada, mainly Las Vegas and Reno the hotel tax rate is 13.35%. It is good for those of us that live here as it keeps the state from having an income tax. Thank you to all the visitors that come to Nevada.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it will apply to airbnb properties as there have been complaints in the Press about how there are so many now and the negative effect they are having on local residents. Cessna152 is so right about Edinburgh, over the festive period the city was virtually turned into a theme park with carnival rides, german market, ice rink etc. and the main streets choked with tourists. Like him we prefer to go elsewhere and leave our city to the tourists during those busy times.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Antonio previously had a 16.75% occupancy tax at hotels, but they just added another 1.25% for more money in their coffers. So it's now an 18% tax on hotel guests. Compared to the examples I'm seeing here, the £2 tax in Edinburgh sounds like a bargain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Includes AirBnB

Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I wonder if it will apply to airbnb properties
    According to the news article I found, it will.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast