X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haggis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haggis?

Does anyone have a good place/website to mail-order a traditional Sheep Haggis from here in the states?

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried the lamb but their vegeterian haggis is good.

http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/cat...aaa78e25c5fe97

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THank you very much!

It looks like the Lamb is out of stock right now. But, I'm very impressed with the price. I thought it'd be more than that.

cormacmacguardhe is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the Haggis you order from overseas will be missing an essential ingredient, the USDA won't let any food product into this country that contains sheeps lungs. They say that it is not fit for human consumption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cormacmacguardhe
    Any of the Haggis you order from overseas will be missing an essential ingredient, the USDA won't let any food product into this country that contains sheeps lungs. They say that it is not fit for human consumption.

Yes, I quickly discovered that. So, I figured I may as well try to find it in the states. No need to go through the hassles of overseas orders when it's going ot be essentially the same thing (Haggis minus lungs.)

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoobradley
    Yes, I quickly discovered that. So, I figured I may as well try to find it in the states. No need to go through the hassles of overseas orders when it's going ot be essentially the same thing (Haggis minus lungs.)
    Oh, poor little things! How are they to breathe if they're minus their lungs?!!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Gills??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cormacmacguardhe
    What is wrong with Sheeps' lungs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    What is wrong with Sheeps' lungs?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I was discussing it with the dad today. He seemed rather certain that it has to do with the blood and not the meat. He understood that a certain amount of blood is to be removed from the meat. And lungs by nature are filled with little passage ways and such, thus retaining the blood and making near impossible to fully remove the necessary amount. I don't know, we could be WAY off base. But, it seemed as good a guess as any! Do we have any Xmarks butchers??

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    What a "HAM"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is true Ham may occasionally contain Haggis - it is equally true that Haggis does not contain Ham :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast