X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Murray, 11th Duke of Atholl

As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, this year marks the 250th anniversary of the town of Athol, Massachusetts. The town was named by John Murray, one of the original property owners and a native of Blair Atholl in Scotland.

The town has had a history of amity with its sister town in Scotland, and there have been visits by the Dukes and the Atholl Highlanders over the years. I was sad to read this on the Athol 250th Facebook page today:

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that His Grace John Murray, the 11th Duke of Atholl passed away yesterday. I received official word this morning from his son, Bruce Murray, 12th Duke of Atholl. Our thoughts and prayers go to Duke John's beloved wife, family & friends. Duke John was a fine man. I will remember him as a very kind and gentle man. May he rest in peace.
    His Grace the 12th Duke will be visiting Massachusetts with some of the Highlanders in just a couple of weeks - there will be a mini tattoo and official reception on June 2 (http://athol250.org/events/highlande...rday-june-2nd/) - I believe a memorial observance for John Murray is now also being planned.
    Last edited by usonian; 16th May 12 at 02:28 PM. Reason: (typo fix)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sad news. I have met the late duke several times and always enjoyed our conversations.