X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditch Flower of Scotland?

I haven't seen this posted, so here tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmA2ClUvUY

Donald Glass wants to ditch "Flower of Scotland" as a national anthem.

I'd be interested in hearing from the pipers and the historians and--especially--the Scots.

Obviously, this is not for me--I don't live in Scotland--but it's an interesting conversation. As we would say around these parts, I don't have a dog in that fight.

CORRECTION: THE SITE SHOULD HAVE BEEN http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/he...ames_1_2033178
    Last edited by thescot; 4th January 12 at 11:49 AM. Reason: BIG BOO BOO ON THE SITE LISTED!
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ditch Flower of Scotland?

"God Save the Queen", has served me perfectly well, thank you.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as I suspected.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never been a huge fan of Flower of Scotland, although it is undeniably popular and well known. The UK as a sovereign state does not have an official National Anthem , however God Save the Queen (KIng) has been the de facto National Anthem by convention since the XVIII century, but it has become increasingly unpopular in Scotland since my childhood.

I have for many years believed that Is There For Honest Poverty (A Man's a Man for a' That) would be the most appropriate, because it speaks to values of universal human dignity (is about who we are or want to be) rather than sticking it to the English at Bannockburn 700 years ago (looking to ancient victories).

I don't want to be political but whatever happens in Scotland's constitutional future (assuming the Queen and her successors remain our Head of State), I would advocate use of the Scottish anthem generally and God Save the Queen (King) when the Sovereign is present, much as happens in Canada.
    Last edited by Peter Crowe; 2nd January 12 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I regard Flower of Scotland as my National Anthem.
    It is the song which is sung by our national sporting teams at the start of major events.
    I would be outraged at the prospect of ditching it.
    God Save the Queen, well I consider it to be the English National Anthem. It is however also the Anthem associated with the united defence forces which defend the British Isles, namely the British Army, The Royal Navy and The Royal Air Force and the first verse is proudly sung here in Scotland at the end of our church service on Remembrance Sunday and at military and Royal events. I would never dream of singing the other verses, even if I knew the words, and one of the verses is known to be distinctly anti-Scottish.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: Ditch Flower of Scotland?

And here I'd been thinking Scotland the Brave was the Scots national anthem ...

But really, around here I've heard Scotland the Brave, Caledonia, (written by Dougie MacLean in the 70's) and Flower of Scotland, all played as "the Scottish anthem" at one time or another.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm that you tube link took me to a couple of twin bairns

Anyway, Without getting too political I did wonder if Flower of Scotland would fall foul of the new Sectarian singing laws, which would be a shame as there's a world of difference between sporting rivalry and sectarian bigots.
    I like Flower of Scotland and can remember when it was first used by the Scottish national football team who borrowed it from their rugby playing counterparts as it was so popular.
    as for God save the Queen the only people I've actually heard singing it were rangers fans.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*** on God save the queen, but then I generally call myself British...

I'm not sure I'd call flower of scotland sectarian though... especially with the 3rd verse...

O Flower of Scotland, When will we see Your like again, That fought and died for, Your wee bit Hill and Glen, And stood against him, Proud Edward's Army, And sent him homeward, Tae think again.

The Hills are bare now, And Autumn leaves lie thick and still, O'er land that is lost now, Which those so dearly held, That stood against him, Proud Edward's Army, And sent him homeward, Tae think again.

Those days are past now, And in the past they must remain, But we can still rise now, And be the nation again, That stood against him, Proud Edward's Army, And sent him homeward, Tae think again.

0 Flower of Scotland, When will we see your like again, That fought and died for, Your wee bit Hill and Glen, And stood against him, Proud Edward's Army, And sent him homeward, Tae think again .

It is my understanding that generally only the first 3 verses of god save the queen are sung

1. God save our gracious Queen Long live our noble Queen God save the Queen Send her victorious Happy and glorious Long to reign over us God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise Scatter her enemies And make them fall Confound their politics Frustrate their knavish tricks On Thee our hopes we fix God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store On her be pleased to pour Long may she reign May she defend our laws And ever give us cause To sing with heart and voice God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone But be God's mercies known From shore to shore Lord make the nations see That men should brothers be And form one family The wide world over

5. From every latent foe From the assassins blow God save the Queen O'er her thine arm extend For Britain's sake defend Our mother, prince, and friend God save the Queen

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade May by thy mighty aid Victory bring May he sedition hush And like a torrent rush Rebellious Scots to crush God save the King
    Last edited by madmacs; 2nd January 12 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    Hmm that you tube link took me to a couple of twin bairns
    Me also...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several years ago I created the original website for www.national-anthems.org including scanning all the sheet music.
    Flower of Scotland is the unofficial national anthem of Scotland. The national anthem for the United Kingdom of Great Britian is God Save The Queen. England by itself does not have a national anthem.
    I would assume it would be up to the Scottish Parliament to decide on a national anthem for Scotland.

Chris.
    Last edited by chrisupyonder; 2nd January 12 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast