X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Calgary, new to the board, sort of new but not really to kilts

Hi. I am a student in Calgary. I am not completely new to kilts, having wandered into them through my association with Living History (specifically the SCA, where they are quite popular).
    When I am at those events I can get away with a ladies kilt that I hemmed and moved the buckles on (no one ever seemed to notice it fastened on the wrong side) or a literal true belted plaid.
    I never really felt comfortable wearing them outside this safe enviroment (more due to being embarassed by the quality than anything else) and I finally have a little money and am about to order my first "real" one for casual wear. I am thinking about ordering a stillwater, but they are a bit long. I would like a bear, but that will be my next one since I don't want to wait that long, and a stillwater will still be cheaper even with the exchange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiran,

Welcome!!
    R. Anderson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiran,

WELCOME!

You have found the place to be and possibly get to meet some others from Calgary.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Tiran.

I predict that your second kilt purchase will soon follow the first. Enjoy.

Lee

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the board, Tiran! It's nice to see the Calgarians starting to find the forum. Perhaps we can get some kind of kilted meeting set up for the locals.

What size of kilt do you take? I have a Stillwater "Irish National" economy kilt that is a size too small for me that I could let you have pretty cheap. It's a 32, but will fit up to a 33 or so. It's never been worn, just tried on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the greetings all. And thanks for the offer Al but I don't think that it will fit. My jeans are a 36 (maybe a 34 if I have been good at the gym and dinner, but not often) and although I couldn't find my cloth tape measure the other day, I put a cord around my natural waist then laid it out on a measuring tape, just for an approximation and got 38. So I am guessing that a 32 is out of the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my first real kilt today. Blackwatch from Highland Scottish shoppe. Thanks for the hint in the other section Tatsudoshi.

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working for Calgary Transit I have a very odd schedule, but it would be cool to get a bunch of us together at one of the local pubs or something. I try to hit the "Kilt & Caber" pub in McKenzie Towne on Wednesdays if I have the day off. They have a wing night on Wednesdays. As I have this coming Wednesday off I will more than likely be there with my wife, sometime around 5:30ish. As you may well imagine...that particular pub is VERY kilt-friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a hearty CONGRATS on getting your first real kilt! Just be forewarned...it most certainly won't be your last!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast