X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Crown Series 5

This season of The Crown has a scene where the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh appear at a ball or similar (I don't recall) and I was impressed by the attention to detail given to Philip's dress.

This outfit rang a bell and I quickly found what was most probably the costumer's reference, Philip's dress at the Royal Scottish Pipers' Society Ball in Edinburgh in 1982.

As we see Philip is wearing a waistcoat of Balmoral tartan while Jonathan Pryce seems to be wearing House of Edgar's Hebridean Heather https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...idean-tartans/

The sporran for the programme, top left below, was made by Margaret Morrison. As we see they got the body shape a seal colours right, but the cantle is somewhat different.

Last edited by OC Richard; 1st December 22 at 05:29 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that in both reality and the show, Phillip is wearing his shirt with buttons instead of studs.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the show, did his hose match the waistcoat or were they closer to what he wore in real life?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good question, I just looked at images of Jonathan Pryce in that scene and I can't find any that show his hose.

Philip does appear to be wearing Balmoral tartan hose, they're similar to the hose worn by the Sovereign's Piper when wearing Balmoral tartan. Philip's hose have "split diamonds" while the ones below don't.

Those above have a burgundy diamond, these below have a black diamond with burgundy overcheck. Note that the drone ribbon is Dress Stewart rather than Balmoral. (The piper is Scott Methven.)

I notice that the three pipers in Balmoral livery seen here are wearing three different styles of sporran.

Last edited by OC Richard; 1st December 22 at 05:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    This season of The Crown has a scene where the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh appear at a ball or similar (I don't recall) and I was impressed by the attention to detail given to Philip's dress.

This outfit rang a bell and I quickly found what was most probably the costumer's reference, Philip's dress at the Royal Scottish Pipers' Society Ball in Edinburgh in 1982.

As we see Philip is wearing a waistcoat of Balmoral tartan while Jonathan Pryce seems to be wearing House of Edgar's Hebridean Heather https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...idean-tartans/

The sporran for the programme, top left below, was made by Margaret Morrison. As we see they got the body shape a seal colours right, but the cantle is somewhat different.

So, my wife started watching The Crown without me, and so I haven't dived into it ... yet. But I did see S.05E.01. I believe the soiree in question was the Ghillies Ball.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think you're right, the Ghillies' Ball.

As I recall in the series Victoria the Queen and Prince Albert attend the Ghillies' Ball around a century earlier.

However the reference photos I think The Crown's costumer used for inspiration were taken at the RSPS Ball.

Perhaps there are photos of Philip wearing the same outfit at other events? I don't know.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd December 22 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a UK perspective, "The Crown" is such rubbish that it's hard to see that anything about Highland Dress could be viewed with any hope of veracity!

Alan

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post: