X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hello Everyone!

Hi, I just decided to sighn up here. I am not scottish, but interested in kilts, being that pants are so dreadfully uncomfortable! I am basically looking for some advice, and maybe a few pointers about how to go about this. I have been lurking in Toms Cafe for a long time, but the whole freestyle thing just doesnt float my boat and there is talk of possibly shutting Toms Cafe down. I have not baught a kilt yet, my financial situation sucks! I was lucky to get a decent computer, it may be old and slow, but it gets me online and its fast enough to run linux :-) Hopefuly soon I will be moved to a cheaper residance and might just be able to swing a UK, and a few upgrades for the old 'puter (bigger HDD, cd burner) Heck, I might just get one of dells cheap laptops.

I'm just mainly looking for kilt related advice. I want to buy one so bad, but havent had the $$$ to do it. I think the kilt is THE coolest thing I ever seen in menswear.

thanks!

hippie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're absolutely right - they are the coolest thing in Menswear.

What sort of kilt are you interested in? There are many great vendors whether you want a traditional tartan kilt or one of the newer American-style kilts (Utilikilts, Pittsburgh Kilts, Freedom Kilts, etc). There are also many "substyles" of each of these two choices. So you'll find out that there's plenty to choose from.

A good number of the vendors are members of this forum so if you have questions, you'll probably be able to get them answered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a real value check out www.stillwaterkilts.com. Their standard and heavyweights are a true bargain.

Kirkwood is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard!

Stillwater kilts are a good way to go. They are relatively inexpensive and of good quality. Most people on this site will recommend them.

The only other brand I can speak of is Amerikilt. I like mine and hope to get another. Since you're in Oregon, you may want to go with something heavier, and they do offer one in corduroy.(has anyone tried one of these?)

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to have you here! You have found a wealth of information already just by reading the posts and advice. You will do well, and let the jonesing begin!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll speak up also for Stillwater. Their standards and Heavies are great (I have one of each). I've heard bad things about the economy though. But for the standard you're looking at roughly $80 including shipping. Not bad at all for a first casual kilt.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome hippie (from an old hippie);-)

Well this is the place for kilt advice and without the freestyling thing which I think is true to say - turns off most who come here.

You don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt, that's something we like to state time and time again. While I would love to have a beautiful Scottish accent - I don't (nor do many scots).

If you want to wear a kilt you can do so. If you don't have any clan associations there are still tartans you can wear, and there are also plain kilts which look nice.

For really good advice on kilts plus some history one of the best places to go is fellow brother Matt Newsome, he has a brilliant site http://www.albanach.org/

Try looking at the kiltmakers listed at the top of the page.

I hope your finances, health and happiness all grow along with your love of kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. This is definately the palce to get all your questions answered

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Hippie23 and Firedaddy,

Glad to have you with us. Indeed you will find a wealth, a virtual plethora even, of information on all things kilt related here at Xmarks. I've just recently begun discovering the joys of the Kilt myself. My first, and as yet only, kilt is a Stillwater Standard. I've nothing to compare it with but have thus far found it to be an excellent value for the money spent. Whatever your choice, wear it proudly and wear it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham

Well this is the place for kilt advice and without the freestyling thing which I think is true to say - turns off most who come here.

You don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt, that's something we like to state time and time again. While I would love to have a beautiful Scottish accent - I don't (nor do many scots).

If you want to wear a kilt you can do so. If you don't have any clan associations there are still tartans you can wear, and there are also plain kilts which look nice.

For really good advice on kilts plus some history one of the best places to go is fellow brother Matt Newsome, he has a brilliant site http://www.albanach.org/
    All true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, you guys are great!

sorry it took so long to get back here, I have a lot of <censored> im dealing with rite now, moving, family troubles, broke down van, and a lot more. :x

The Stillwater kilt looks nice. I really like it. Do they take money orders? I dont have a credit card.

Just curious, since im not scottish, what tartans can I wear? It would be nice to know what to look for. There is sooooo many tartans its confusing!

Thank you.
    peace!

Hippie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast