X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Virginia

I have to wonder if this post is just a wee bit premature, as I don't own a kilt yet, but here goes...

I have been intrigued by my Scottish ancestry since I was a little boy, but only recently have I decided to dig into that a little more. If I could have found my family tartan in polyviscose, I probably would have already bought a kilt, but apparently the tartan is not woven in PV so I just have to wait until I can get it in wool. My Clan society in North America, which I have joined, has a stated preference for the Locharron material, so I'll probably go with that, but well made kilts are not cheap, so I'd really like to lose a few pounds first (and keep it off).

Then there is the question "where would I wear it?". I'm not sure a kilt would go over well where I work, but retirement is not too far away. The Virginia Celtic Festival in Richmond is not until the end of August, so I guess there's time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from middle Tennessee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

Not premature at all; being here may help you to save a lot of cash by making good decisions the first time. I've passed on a lot of gear to others, but at a financial loss when I realized that I had made some poor choices in putting my kit together. Take a special look at the "one kilt, ten looks" thread found here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/ I think you'll find it at least enlightening and possibly give you some good ideas to round out your wonderful investment.

Always remember that the sweet taste of a cheap purchase is long forgotten when the taste in your mouth is the disappointment of poor quality. Better to save up and buy quality the first time rather than the last.

Cheers, and again, welcome!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, absolutely not premature.

You don't mention the desired tartan. It's possible someone has it in the closet feeling lonely and abandoned;
    hoping for rescue. It's worth a shot, it has certainly happened many times on this forum.

Where to wear? Grocery store, restaurants, sailing, concerts, football games.........
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 31st January 19 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. You should get lots of guidance here - hope you find plenty opportunities for kilt-wearing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from I-95 Exit 126!

Besides the now Richmond Highland Games in late October, there is the Radford Highlander Festival in early October, the Virginia Scottish Games at The Plains on Labor Day weekend, and the Green Hill Games at Salem late August. Many cities have Scottish/Saint Andrew's Societies; Richmond, Tidewater, Fredericksburg,Wash DC, etc., Kilt Nights to attend and yes, Thank Goodness It's Kilted Friday!
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 31st January 19 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Great Rabble from Falls Church, Virginia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Cilt wearing Welshman! You will enjoy the plethora of 'stuff' on here!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Texas.
    KD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast