X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: Dress sporran

Unfortunately my seal skin sporran was eaten by moths so hoping to replace it.

Thanks, John.
    johngoff@gmail.com

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm real sorry to tell you this John but it is illegal to import into or sell items made from seal in the US. It is also illegal now in the UK and the EU.
    The only Western country I know of that is still able to make a seal skin sporran is Canada. Of course you can't import those items across the border.

In 2009 the Celtic Craft Center in Palm Springs, CA was raided by agents looking for seal skin sporrans. (of course the newspaper article about the raid said that the agents suspected that the store had seal skin kilts)
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th May 16 at 11:38 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to distinguish seal from other skins that may have a similar appearance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cck View Post
    Is there a way to distinguish seal from other skins that may have a similar appearance?
    I'm told that some folks use moo-cow and that it has a similar appearance although not a similar touch. I've never seen one, so I couldn't comment on the veracity of that opinion. On the other hand, maybe I have seen one and didn't spot the difference.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been negotiating with a woman for an antique mink (but moth riddled) stole. She also has a sable stole that could pass for seal. Both are in a "thrift" store, but priced as if they were in a high end boutique. I hope to make my next sporran from either I swing the deal. This may be the path you have to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I've seen "moo-cow" and "sable" (perhaps opposite ends of the spectrum) as imitations for seal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cck View Post
    So far I've seen "moo-cow" and "sable" (perhaps opposite ends of the spectrum) as imitations for seal.
    Compromise: "moo-sable"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It obviously depends somewhat on the particular cow and/or seal, but some cowhide sporrans at least look pretty close, though they aren't as soft to touch. Seal on the left (quoted at around 140 GBP), cow on the right at about $45.

Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 11th May 16 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cow-skin dress sporran from Ian Grant of Edinburgh certainly looks the part from more than a few feet away (and if somebody were to get closer to my sporran than that, I'd start to wonder a bit). As others have said, it's not as soft/smooth as the feel of seal skin, but it certainly does the job in a pinch.