X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amerikilt Color question

I recieved the amerikilt that I bought to my hubby, is really nice, he decided to get the black one. After he tried it on for some reason I decided to compare the color to another black fabric (black canvas) and the Amerikilt looks navy blue.
    So my question is, is the black from amerikilt a blue base one or I got the wrong kilt sent to me?
    Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm weird....give Mike a call, I'm sure he'll make it right if there was a mistake in shipping.

I have a black AmeriKilt and its blacker than my black UK survival and UK workman's and shows black against the black in my black Stewart tartan.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for your reply! looks like they sent a navy blue one, I will call them in the morning!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a reply from them and I am not that happy.
    QUOTE:
    Color is subjective and you would be hard pressed to find the definitive
    BLACK in a fabric. Our company is not large enough to buy our own
    specified dye lots so we buy what is available from our supplier and - as
    a result - some blacks come in slightly blacker, grayer, bluer, greener or
    any other shade. But it is ordered as Black and sold as Black and - at the
    moment - it's the only black on hand. We don't make Navy Blue AmeriKilts.

Well they sure have someone buying fabric that is a little color blind I dunno maybe it will be nice to add this warning on their site?...Oh well...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, that's the opposite end of the scale from the customer service I've experienced from Mike. Always been friendly and helpful.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooSuzie
    I got a reply from them and I am not that happy.
    QUOTE:
    Color is subjective and you would be hard pressed to find the definitive
    BLACK in a fabric. Our company is not large enough to buy our own
    specified dye lots so we buy what is available from our supplier and - as
    a result - some blacks come in slightly blacker, grayer, bluer, greener or
    any other shade. But it is ordered as Black and sold as Black and - at the
    moment - it's the only black on hand. We don't make Navy Blue AmeriKilts.

Well they sure have someone buying fabric that is a little color blind I dunno maybe it will be nice to add this warning on their site?...Oh well...
    Wow, what customer sevice.......Personally i would not be satisfied with that response. People like Steve, Rocky, Jerry, David, etc have stepped up and provided numerous records of great service to members of this board. Demand a better response than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many ways, Mike is correct.

Color IS subjective. Black is one of the most varied colors, it is not as definite as we choose to think.

Take almost ANY black piece of clothing and really look at it in different lighting and it rarely looks the same as another "black" piece of clothing.

This has much to do with the fabrics, the dyes, and how they take to each other, as well as "color" itself.

Black as an opaque color is a combination of colors, and depending on the light and surface, those colors may be more dominant.

I have many pairs of "Black" socks that look more blue, Grey sweaters that look Green, but it depends on the light that they are in.

That's why it is very difficult to match "separate" pieces of clothing from different makers as a suit.
    Mark Dockendorf
    Left on the Right Coast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to agree. I own 2 black kilts, several black pants, and shirts, and they all appear to be just slightly different from each other. And black will very often appear to be Navy Blue.

Now, Mike @ AK could have said send it back and we will send you a new one and preface it by saying that color is subjective. But the logic is there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mddock58
    In many ways, Mike is correct.

Color IS subjective. Black is one of the most varied colors, it is not as definite as we choose to think.
    Very true, but I think from a customer service stand point that could have been delivered way better to a first time customer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dress in black 100% of the time, the kilt matched to anything black that I own is Navy Blue...I had a friend over last night and she can see the color difference too. Lets put it this way, after going to school and wearing Navy blue for more than 10 years (nun school and had to wear an uniform) I know the difference, I was just shocked by the color of kilt that I recieved.

Now it will be nice if they have a warning on the site that states that your Black might have grey, blue or green undertones. So you know what to expect.

I really do not know if we are going to sent it back and get a smaller size, I do not feel like paying $10 on shipping on top of what already paid (I know what it says on the site about returns)...now hey /sarcastic moment/ maybe a different kilt size will mean a different kilt color!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast