X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear Kilts prices go up August 1st

Sorry folks but it's something that has to be done if Bear Kilts is going to stay in business.
    Mostly, I'm catching up to industry pricing standards and trying to do better than break even, which is all I've done for the past year and a half. Time to start putting some food on the table.
    Those that have contacted me or ordered before August 1st get the current, lower prices.

Here's the link to the page explaining why I chose/had to to raise prices.
    http://bearkilts.com/priceincrease2.html

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering when you were going to have to do this. As far as I'm concerned, your kilts are well worth it. Well made, low priced...what more could a guy want?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I hear about your kilts (I'll have my own opinion when you send me mine ) the price increase you've laid out is nominal. It's tough to have your own business and make it profitable when you care about giving people value. And besides, we want you to be able to feed yourself. A hungry bear is a grumpy bear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al G.
    I was wondering when you were going to have to do this. As far as I'm concerned, your kilts are well worth it. Well made, low priced...what more could a guy want?
    Thanks Al.
    I tried not to do it but as I'm kiltmaking full time now, I need some money from Bear Kilts coming in or it's time to get a part-time job and have less time for kiltmaking.
    I'd rather keep the prices down and get as many guys in kilts as I can. Once they know how comfy kilts are, they'll keep buying them and business is better for all the kiltmakers.
    But I seem to be the only kiltmaker trying to keep the price down.
    I'll put my list of kilt features against any other casual kiltmaker, compare my new prices to theirs, and still be less expensive!
    I tell ya, examining those other kiltmaker's kilts opened my eyes as to how well made my kilts are and how under-priced they have been.
    I'm getting fired up again. I gotta go before I start saying things better left unsaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta do what you gotta do! Your kilts are well worth the increase!
    I've survived DAMN near everything
    Acta non Verba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have yet to see Bear's product first hand, I have a good feeling about his kilts based on pics as well as the comments of others. I look forward to checking out his handiwork personally when my own order arrives in a few months. I am very much looking forward to having a few quality tartan style casuals in my wardrobe to compliment my PKs, as well as the TFCK I splurged on.

In my opinion, where the casual kilt is concerned, there really are not a lot of good options despite the fact that there are a growing number of folks producing casual kilts. From the pics and info I am seeing on websites, coupled with info I have gathered second hand, I have to concur that there seems to be a general lack of aesthetices, quality, and/or durability. This is not necessarily reflected in the price!!

I feel lucky having a source of quality product in my locally based PKs. I feel just as lucky having found Bear Kilts, especially since Tony has expanded into the solid colors and intends to introduce a more traditional look soon. Otherwise, were I faced with buying casual kilts from the other companies, I would choose not to and would go broke using TFCK and most likely have one or two kilts and wear pants primarily. Or, I would figure out how to make them myself.

It can be difficult striking a decent balance between making money and feeling you are charging a fair price. I have a mail order business of my own whereby I am relatively sure that I could double the price of my product to see the same gross sales figure. I would sell half as much product, but it would mean half as much work for the same amount of cash heading into the bank account. That sounds like good business to me, and it is, but the problem is that it doesn't feel like *friendly* business. I do not take that route since I like helping folks out and would rather help out as many as possible. As Bear is finding out, the money part is also important, though.

Good luck finding that balance, Bear.

Mychael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear,

I will always pay a fair price for quality, and your price increase is still very fair. If businesses do not adjust to the market whether that is going up in price or going down, success never comes.

Your workmanship is top notch, and I know that I will continue to want more Bear Kilts.

Congratulations on your growth!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A price increase? I hadn't noticed! If that is what it takes to keep the Bear family fed, I'm all for it! The quality is excellent and customer service is the top of the top notch! You get what you pay for.

Larry
    "A chef is someone creative enough to call the same soup a different name every day"

elijah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd say that you're not the only kiltmaker trying to keep prices down (King Kilts still available for $67 in Black Watch), but I certainly understand your position.

I've gained new found respect for the difficulties of making a living in this business. The reason we can keep our prices so low is because I'm bringing home the largest paycheck and her income only supplements it.

We're turning a small profit. The key word is small. While King Kilts due to its unique situation will be able to keep our kilts at the same reasonable price, I do sympahtize with the decision that Bear has to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear, from what I see your kilts have been rather underpriced. You have to be able to make a fair living in order to survive. Nobody should mind paying fair price for a good product. I hope we all understand where you are.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast