X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the Dukes led me astray?

I was looking for a way to keep sunscreen of my collar and came across these instuctions for a twisted neckerchief. I figured two Dukes can not be wrong. My coworkers are ribbing me for my selection of neckwear. So what's the scoop. Does the neckercheif worn in this fashion have some significance of which I am not aware? I didn't get the memo.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...ckerchief.html

the other Duke is here,

http://classicfilmfan23.blogspot.com...film-fest.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you making an attempt at humour? You certainly aren't discussing anything kilt related.

I have been known to wear a handkerchief like that from time to time. Why? Because I like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Are you making an attempt at humour? You certainly aren't discussing anything kilt related.

I have been known to wear a handkerchief like that from time to time. Why? Because I like them.
    No attempt at humor, it is an honest question. I was attending a scottish games and it was quite sunny. I wanted to wear a nice shirt but sunscreen was a must. I did not want sunsceen on my collar and it seemed like a good solution. A few of my friends thought it was a little too Paul Lynde. If they are being childish...fine. But I am not. I would think any neckwear was fair for discussion in the contemporary section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see a problem. Would sorta need to see a pic of it "in action" with the kilt to make a proper judgement though.
    But, I don't get why anybody would hassle or rib you about it. People can be funny. My wife gives me hell when I try to wear an ascot. She hates it, I dig it. Whatever.
    "Fide et Fortitudine"
    (fidelity & fortitude)
    ALBA GU BRAW!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not go for a Ascot tie and let it hang outside the shirt like a jabot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I don't see a problem. Would sorta need to see a pic of it "in action" with the kilt to make a proper judgement though.
    But, I don't get why anybody would hassle or rib you about it. People can be funny. My wife gives me hell when I try to wear an ascot. She hates it, I dig it. Whatever.
    I'll post a picture in a month or so when I get my kilt. Some looks work for some people and not others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that if you tie it as per your first link and then tuck the ends in, it will look like a cravat. And there is no reason why you shouldn't wear a cravat with a kilt.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I just use the spray-on type of sports high-SPF sunscreen (the clear stuff, not the spray creme) which dries into your skin in about a minute and lasts all day, come rain or shine, sweat, or rub from your collar. Just be careful not to spray the stuff around your glasses, sunglasses, or car windows or paint, as it dries hard on those as well, and is not as easy to get off. Never had it ever stain anything fabric unless I sprayed directly on the fabric by mistake.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wear a neckerchief like that when it's really hot. Dip it in cold water, then tie it on, and it provides cooling action for quite a while. And of course, it keeps your neck from getting sunburned.

Lots of folks around here do it, though many are wearing it in the 'cowboy' fashion (ala the second Duke of mention).

But hey - it's perfectly appropriate with a kilt:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is any significance, but there is an appropriate occassion 'when' to wear a handkerchief in this fashion. I think Charles wears his because he likes it.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 2nd May 12 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast