X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New around here with several questions

I've been lurking for a while, but thought I'd drop by since the discussion here seems a bit more active than other sites. I've been un-bifurcated at various times for the past few years and currently have some life changes that allow less bifurcation in my life. I currently own a traditional custom kilt (Farquasan sp? mainly because the Christy family kilts are less than aesthetic) that I bought for my wedding 8 years ago with most of the various bits & bobs and two utilikilts, a mocker & original.

On to the questions. I tend to run a bit warm, much to the dismay of my wife, thus part of my quest for less bifurcation . Due to taking my first office job and general lounging, I gained quite a bit of weight, making my traditional kilt unwearable. Fast forward to today, due to much effort I've shrunk quite a bit in the last year and the end is in sight. I can fit my traditional kilt again but it's not a practical daily garment for me. I'll be putting my original UK up for sale and I'll be in the market for something to replace it soon, as it was bought when I was at my heaviest.

Can anyone give me some advice/thoughts about the various casual options? I'm looking for a non-traditional kilt that's light & comfortable and good enough to both wear out to dinner or go hiking/gardening/child wrangling in on a more or less daily basis. I love my UK especially the feel but I'm not overly fond of the look of cargo pockets and I'm not a fan of the slimmer apron on the mocker model. The snap-on ease and combination of durability & comfort is amazing though. I love the look of some of the freedom kilts but am concerned about weight&heat as they seem designed closer to traditional kilts. I'm 6'2", wide of shoulder and long of torso so a mid-rise is more flattering than low rise options.

Also a link to somewhere I could get cotton hose & belts would be much appreciated. Wool kilt hose & my temperature regulation don't work together for most of the year. Many thanks in advance and I love the collected knowledge on this site.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for looking at my Freedom Kilts. Yes, they are more like a Traditional Kilt than some other non-Traditional styles but that should not make them hotter to wear.
    We do have some very light weight 100% Cotton fabrics. We also have some Rip-stop Camo fabrics that have a high nylon content like Desert Camo.

Actually though it is not the Kilt that will make you feel cooler. I mean when I am wearing a Kilt I am "Kilt Conditioned". If I'm feeling warm I just swish the pleats a little and it's sort of like having a built in fan.

If you would like, I am always available to talk about options and fabrics.
    I'm simply an email, phone call, or Skype call away. Feel free to contact me. I'm sure we can come up with something. If not one of my Kilts then may I suggest you contact Jerry at Stillwater Kilts. Some of his Acrylic fabrics are really nice and light. They almost feel like they are not there. He has Tartans if you want to go that way and his shipping time is legendary.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of options and I'll chime in for FlamingoKilts. If you're still losing weight, you can ask Geoff Withnell on this board about the kilt I made for him -- Velcro closure was specifically placed to allow for downward adjustment. "Cheap and cheerful" but made to your measure from quality fabrics.

Whatever you end up with, have fun and welcome to the clan!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I like about my Freedom Kilt is that it looks like a... KILT! I've seen a lot of contemporary 'kilts' that look very skirt-like.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freedom Kilts....R-Kilts....Flamingo Kilts.

Contemporary kilts, good people, good products, and customizeable up the wazoo.

If you're up for it, go to the DIY forum and make yourself (or get your wife to make) an X-Kilt and do it (or them0 up exactly the way you want them..

If you have to go "off the rack", then Amerikilts are a good option. Alpha Kilts advertises here, though I've never actually seen one. I bet you can get one without the cargo pockets.

For cotton kilt hose I go to Hamilton Dry Goods. They have a good website, which only has about 2/3rds of what they carry. HDG sells on ebay, and I've actually bought most of my stuff from them, off their ebay store. There's also the Sock Dreams website, which mostly caters to the ladies, but they do carry some manly-man schtuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    If you're up for it, go to the DIY forum and make yourself (or get your wife to make) an X-Kilt and do it (or them0 up exactly the way you want them..
    they're easier to make than you might think, too. I'm nearly done with one. If I -- my only experience with a sewing machine was in the eighth grade -- can do it, anyone should be able to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. Quite a bit to think about and much to narrow down. Thanks for the welcome. The x-kilt is interesting and definitely something I'll have to look into when I have more time, though I'd be making it rather than the wife. I've got a cut-down jacket project that I want to do first I think. Probably for the next kilt after this one.

Alan, Thanks for the sock dreams link. I've got an order from them arriving soon. Hopefully they'll arrive soon so I can go kilted to work soon.

Does anyone who owns an alpha kilt have any thoughts? I've never seen one in person. I'm not tied to going off the rack and custom definitely has its appeal. Tailoring can make all the difference in how clothes feel. Time to buy a sewing machine to make some experiments.

Any pros or cons from those who own multiple styles of kilt? Pockets are definitely necessary for me as I find sporrans annoying for daily use. Cost isn't a huge consideration, but definitely a factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucienrau View Post
    I've been lurking for a while, but thought I'd drop by since the discussion here seems a bit more active than other sites. I've been un-bifurcated at various times for the past few years and currently have some life changes that allow less bifurcation in my life. I currently own a traditional custom kilt (Farquasan sp? mainly because the Christy family kilts are less than aesthetic) that I bought for my wedding 8 years ago with most of the various bits & bobs and two utilikilts, a mocker & original.
    My wife says hi, she's a Christy.
    And she agrees with you on the pattern appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was mentioned, the X Kilt is a good idea for many reasons (which Alan already gave), but it also reminded me that if you look for a box-pleat rather than a knife pleat, you are going to probably find a cooler (temp) kilt no matter what else. Box pleated kilts are usually made of less fabric, which means less bulk around the backside. Having not visited The Wizard's site in awhile (oh the shame!) I don't know if the FK has a box pleat option. I think Alpha Kilts has a style that is box pleated, you might check with them as well. Hope that helps!!

From one shrinking guy to another,

Scott

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a couple of weeks away from an official announcement but yes, we do a Box Pleat Model. It will replace our Industrial Model with a price comparable to our Cargo Model.
    It will be available in any of our 35 stock fabrics and almost any registered Tartan.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast