X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utilikilts what are they thinking?

I just went to their web site today and it has changed again! Really hard to find the page to order. I also don't appreciate the attitude of the site. I will not be telling people to check out their website because it is not the image I want to project when I wear my utilikilts. They even have words you can't use on broadcast television!

It seems to me they don't want to sell many kilts.
    Mark Keeney

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keeney View Post
    I just went to their web site today and it has changed again! Really hard to find the page to order. I also don't appreciate the attitude of the site. I will not be telling people to check out their website because it is not the image I want to project when I wear my utilikilts. They even have words you can't use on broadcast television!

It seems to me they don't want to sell many kilts.
    Mark,

I didn't find anything there that wasn't expected.
    The "flip up" was risque... but it was at best PG.
    I have always found UK's marketing a bit "in your face". This was no exception.

As to ordering, I found the "buy" button a pretty strong prompt.

(After reading your post I googled and used the home page from UK.)

Jack

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not up on all the different "looks" and "attitudes" but isn't the "grunge" look pretty much centered in Seattle? Maybe there's some slop over.

I do enjoy the irreverance, the World needs more irreverence for sure.

And who couldn't love Uncle Otto?

Guess I'll go see what they're up to again. Not much point for me though. I already own 15 of their kilts. Was wearing one today.

Think I don't much care how politically correct they are, and I probably swear too much too...but I sure like them "Scottish Jeans" they make up there and that Scratch and Dent Rack of Uncle Ottos has saved me a few pesos.

And, if I recall correctly, they do know that they're pretty crazy and off the wall and they seem to really enjoy it. I sure would.

And hey, if you are gonna order, call them up. Its a lot more fun.

Ron
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 11th June 07 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I felt like it and so did my alter ego
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Mark, you've got me stumped as to what you found problematic at the Utilikilts website.

Since I own & wear 5 UKs (1-at-a-time), & I frequently hand out there cards to inquiring guys, I went & checked www.utilikilts.com & yes, it's been redesigned again, but for the better IMHO.

First, I liked the intro with the Mock-u-mercial. I didn't check out every page, but went to what I'd consider the "biggies" like, PRODUCTS & other stuff, & didn't see anything objectionable, just well laid out, easy to navigate pages to all their product line.

RETAIL STORES? Nope, nothin' objectionable there. (Actually, I think it's very cool that there's stores outside of Seattle selling UKs & I'm wondering what it would take to get a Phoenix-area store to sell 'em.)

NEWS & EVENTS? Hmmm, admittedly, I only read the article about UK rockin' a men's fashion convention in Las Vegas last week, but didn't come across any bad language or pictures.

PHOTO GALLERY? UTILICLAN? PRESS? COMPANY? FAQS? CONTACT? Glancing at the initial pages, no problemo...

I don't know, man... I'm not seeing a problem, here. Maybe you could copy & paste the URL to what is was that bugged you.
    Happiness? I'd settle for being less annoyed!!!
    "I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused." - Declan MacManus
    Member of the Clan Donnachaidh Society

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems easier to get around the re design, and I found where to buy easily, I also did not see anything objectionable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I might have over reacted. I didn't click enough in the products area to get to the ordering page. I could only find it from the FAQs page where this is printed.

"You’re stuck in a thousand dollar wool kilt (in plaid, no less) and have to wear a silly little purse, “sporran”, in order to carry your s__t, while back in “our” UK land we’re wearing lightweight kilts that can hold all our goods, can be thrown in the wash, AND are made in Seattle by people who know their s__t."

The __'s are my editing.

I think the thing I reacted to the most is the hyper macho beer drinking loud talking attitude the website conveys. It is so very opposite of me that when I hand out a card to see the website I'm afraid there will be a association. I don't have to out drink or out fight anyone to justify my wearing a kilt. I wear it because I like it. I have no issues about my masculinity.

I like Utilikilts, I wear them, Their original website got me interested in wearing kilts. I have since expanded to tradidtional kilts. I know I wouldn't be interested in them if I found the current website.
    Mark Keeney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm somewhat frowny about Utilikilts because at my waist size -- which isn't even horribly big, there's a great limitation of styles and colors available. If they'd even consider making things custom, instead of going with an all-off-the-peg approach, I'd be happier. As it is... I'll probably buy from one of our other sponsor / vendors when I decide to get a "jeans" kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know where you're coming from Mark. It's those very issues that keep me away from the site and their forum. The demographic they are catering to goes for that though. The statement you quoted though, does show a very un-professional side. There's absolutely no need to deride another style to promote your own. But hey, that's why I don't own a UK any longer and when I do buy another "cargo" style kilt, it will be from Freedom Kilts or Renegade Kilts. I can get a tailored kilt for about the same price (maybe more, maybe less) as an off-the-peg UK. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not see the statement you quoted I guess I did not look through enough of the site, as it is I do not own any UK's and I am in no hurry to remedy that situation as I quite like my thousand dollar wool kilt (in plaid, no less), and I just love my silly little purse from Freelander Sporrans. For some the traditional style kilt is not the way to go, for me however it's the only way.

I suppose that an attitude like that may appeal to some it certainly does not appeal to me, it will be a long time before I darken their doors.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 12th June 07 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've always found their advertising style to be a little off-putting. But then I am much more of a traditional kind of guy.

I'm over at their website now and my biggest gripe is that IT IS SOOOO SLOW!!! I'm on a broadband connection and all the other websites I'm visiting are flying so the slow down has to be on their server. Having a database driven site is great unless your server can't handle all the files.

Oh, and I think that Tuxedo kilt looks horrible. If you want to go unbifurcated with style then a full 16 oz traditional is the way to go.

And yes, their FAQs are completely tasteless.

Oh, and please change the background. For the longer descriptions I started having trouble to read near the bottom.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast