X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Voodoo Wares?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voodoo Wares?

Good Morning, All,

Having been less kilted for a bit as my weight fluctuated, I thought (now that things seem to have stabilized) about grabbing another AlphaKilt (I had one of the early box-pleat models, and it's my fav around-the-house beater kilt).

Well, after going to AlphaKilts' website and finding the redirect to Voodoo Wares (and doing some searching of XMTS to get caught on the news), it seems that Voodoo Wares is the place to go for an AlphaKilt these days, but that this still seems relatively new.

So, the question to the rabble: have any of you had the opportunity to patronize Voodoo Wares yet? Or do I just start saving for a UK?

Thanks,

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to think about an Alt.Kilt, who advertisers here. Jeannie has received a number of favorable of reviews. I have one in my future purchases plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Include Me In The Count

Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    You might want to think about an Alt.Kilt, who advertisers here. Jeannie has received a number of favorable of reviews. I have one in my future purchases plan.
    Ern is spot on with this recommendation. I would definitely recommend, particularly when you say beater kilt. The heavyweight cotton twill is holds up well. I regularly wear this when playing with my dogs at the park, weekend chores and have worn it traveling internationally with the associated wear and tear. The other thing is that this will be a one of a kind kilt as they are all customized, which is cool. The buttons available alone provide huge choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    Ern is spot on with this recommendation. I would definitely recommend, particularly when you say beater kilt. The heavyweight cotton twill is holds up well. I regularly wear this when playing with my dogs at the park, weekend chores and have worn it traveling internationally with the associated wear and tear. The other thing is that this will be a one of a kind kilt as they are all customized, which is cool. The buttons available alone provide huge choice.
    I'll have to think about Alt. The style was a little, I guess, "heavier" than I was looking for, but I've spent some time on their web site, and they're starting to grow on me. Originally, the thing that had turned me off was the material. I was looking for polycotton due to wrinkle resistance, primarily, and some waterproofing. The only other 100% cotton kilts I've owned were a couple of Amerikilts. Wonderfully comfortable, but they acquired wrinkles at an amazing rate once I put them on.

How wrinkle resistant are the Alt Kilts?

Thanks for the info,

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

I can help answer some questions Our heavy weight 100% cotton is really different than what Amerikilt uses - ours is more like a thick denim so it takes a lot more to make it wrinkle. A lot of customers seem to like the more substancial feel of our heavy cotton (full kilts run about 3lbs). Our dress weight cotton is more wrinkle prone but I do use a brand with wrinkle-ease built in to help.

I am also happy to do a poly/cotton kilt for you - since everything is custom made, we can order in any fabric you want. It runs the same price as the 100% cotton - just put a note on the order or in the fabric choice that you want it in poly/cotton.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

-Jeanie

(sorry for any spelling errors. I am typing this on my phone while in the hospital with my eldest son. He managed to get a pretty good concussion at camp yesterday)
    Regina Davan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techdragon View Post
    Brian,

I can help answer some questions Our heavy weight 100% cotton is really different than what Amerikilt uses - ours is more like a thick denim so it takes a lot more to make it wrinkle. A lot of customers seem to like the more substancial feel of our heavy cotton (full kilts run about 3lbs). Our dress weight cotton is more wrinkle prone but I do use a brand with wrinkle-ease built in to help.

I am also happy to do a poly/cotton kilt for you - since everything is custom made, we can order in any fabric you want. It runs the same price as the 100% cotton - just put a note on the order or in the fabric choice that you want it in poly/cotton.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

-Jeanie

(sorry for any spelling errors. I am typing this on my phone while in the hospital with my eldest son. He managed to get a pretty good concussion at camp yesterday)

.....and of course these are box pleated which AKs are not. The box pleats are great and trust me even in solid color people definitely know it is a kilt.
    Low maintenance in this type of kilt is important and they are. I hang wet with clothes pins to align and weight the pleats and it is good to go. Once and again a quick once over with a steamer is all it takes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with most contempory kilts made out of a cotton type fabric you are going to have a lot more creasing that in a worsted wool fabric kilt. Below is a pic of me in a Alt Kilt on a recent trip to Bali. It is a heavy weight cotton and performed great in the climate over there. Sure it got a few wrinkles in it during the day/night. After wearing it I just wet the wrinked area, smoothed the creases with my fingers, hung it up and it was ready for the next day's wear. As for washing it, I just throw it in the machine, hang it out on hangers and smooth all the pleats with my fingers while it's still wet and when it dries, it's tickety boo to wear. I also have to say that I consider the Alt Kilt is the best value for money comtempory kilt and the list of options that Jeanie has available is second to none.

Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 11th August 11 at 06:24 PM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the info and the pictures, all. I think I'll be giving an Alt.Kilt a shot here in a couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may beat you with my order TKC, that is one hell of a satisfied smile on DuK!