X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I end my stitching?

I now have all the materials to begin making my own kilt, but I have one question before I begin. After I have sewn a pleat, how do I end the stitching so the thread doesn't pull out? If I make a knot and pull the knot closed, there will be slack in the thread between the last stitch and the knot, so the last few stitches will have too much slack in them. I didn't see any tutorial for this. In other sewing projects I have even seen the knot pull through the material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the top of the pleat, in the last 1/2-inch or so of material that will end up being encased in the waistband, simply take 2 or 3 stitches very close together and tight (like whip-stitching, but with each stitch almost on top of the last one). This is plenty to hold it together while you continue work. Once the waistband is sewn on, it locks all the pleat stitching in place for good.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post
    At the top of the pleat, in the last 1/2-inch or so of material that will end up being encased in the waistband, simply take 2 or 3 stitches very close together and tight (like whip-stitching, but with each stitch almost on top of the last one). This is plenty to hold it together while you continue work. Once the waistband is sewn on, it locks all the pleat stitching in place for good.
    I had thought of that but just assumed those last few stitches would work their way loose while you're working on the rest of the kilt. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for places where you are instructed to make a knot at the end of stitching (such as the step I just finished, sewing buckle loops):

Don't try to make a knot in the thread itself, as you did at the start of your stitching (before thread entered fabric). Instead, turn to the wrong side of the fabric and take a very short stitch through one layer, so it doesn't show on the right side. As you pull this stitch through, insert your needle through the loop of thread so that when it's pulled tight, you have a simple overhand knot. Repeat this so you have two overhand knot/stitches close together. Then, I insert my needle below one layer of fabric and pull it out a few inches away before cutting off the thread. This captures the last loose inch of thread between fabric layers and decreases the chance of those overhand knots ever coming loose.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
    I had thought of that but just assumed those last few stitches would work their way loose while you're working on the rest of the kilt. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice
    You can leave an inch or so of thread after those last stitches (i.e. don't cut the thread off close to last stitch) and this will also help keep them from coming loose. Plenty of time to trim those threads just before you attach waistband.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried your advice in a scrap piece of tartan and it works beautifully!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually use 4-5 stitches, and that holds fine anywhere on the kilt, even where it won't be secured by other stitching.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used two small stitches side by side, tied together by sliding the eye end of the needle under the two stitches and over the thread, twice. Snip the thread leaving a small tail to keep the knot firm.

When drawn up firmly the knot will hold but can be undone again and the thread removed leaving hardly a trace.

I start the sewing with one back stitch and a single knot done over the stitch and the tail of the thread.

This will hold fairly loosely woven as well as fine materials.

For very loosely woven materials make two stitches in the form of an X and tie a knot in the centre of it.

Anne the Pleater

Huoliuhi is offline membership revoked for spam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Happy

bump and lurk