X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Kamp 2018 - The Registration Details

It is again that time of year.

Registration for Kilt Kamp 2018 is now open! First priority is to those X Marks members who expressed an interest in the previous thread. A list of confirmed attendees will be posted in a separate thread, and updated as registrations are confirmed.

Dates of Kamp - Monday the 30th of July through Saturday the 4th of August. Please make your travel plans so you can arrive, check into your accommodations, and be ready to start sewing first thing Monday morning.
    We begin at 8 am each day and formal classwork usually finishes around 6 pm.
    Location: Freedom Kilts - 1919 Fernwood Road, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 2Y6.
    Course Content – You are asked to indicate at the time of registration whether you wish to learn primarily contemporary or traditional kiltmaking methods. During the Kamp you can move back and forth between the two courses to learn from both instructors, of course.

· Contemporary Kiltmaking (handstitched and machine stitched) to be taught by Steve Ashton (aka The Wizard of BC and the owner of Freedom Kilts) – 4 students maximum
    · Traditional Kiltmaking (handstitched) to be taught by Barb Tewksbury, author of “The Art of Kiltmaking” – 8 students maximum (unless otherwise limited by Barb)

Registration will remain open from today until midnight, Wednesday, February 28th. Any spaces remaining unfilled will be offered to the general public.

As people send their registrations (see instructions for registration below) I will reply with a PayPal invoice (or take a credit card over the telephone). A closing date for 50% deposits has been set for no later than March 31. Full payment may be completed by April 30. (You may, of course, pay for the full course up front if you wish)

The cost for Kamp will remain the same as in the past -- $350.00 USD or CDN as applicable regarding residency. The registration fee covers the cost of putting on the Kamp (instructor’s expenses, etc.) but does not include kiltmaking supplies.

If you plan to order your fabric or supplies yourself, I would strongly suggest you have your order placed with your weaver no later than the 1st of May.
    If you plan to order your fabric or supplies though Barb or Freedom Kilts you must have your fabric and/or supplies order in no later than the 1st of May.

Barb and I will post to this thread the requirements of our individual courses.

My wife Bobbie (KiltedKnome) is again serving as hostess and will post details with ideas for accommodations and food and drink not only at local establishments but what will be on site during Kamp.

To Register please send an email to: service@freedomkilts.com

Subject line: Kilt Kamp 2018
    Please include:
    Your full name ______
    Your X Marks username _____
    Your full mailing address to include Zip/postal code. _____
    Your phone number _____
    Note if you wish to sign up for the traditional or contemporary course?
    Would you prefer to pay a 50% deposit on your course fee?
    Would you prefer to pay 100% course fee.?
    Will you provide your own fabric and supplies?
    Will you be ordering any fabric or supplies via Freedom Kilts?
    Will you be having any fabric or supplies drop-shipped to Freedom Kilts?
    Do you have your own accommodations arrangement?
    Would you like Bobbie to contact you with information about local accommodations?

To re-cap
    Registration open through February 28, 2018
    Deposits NLT March 31, 2018
    Final Payments NLT April 30, 2018.
    Kamp dates - 8:00am on Monday, July 30, thru 6:00pm on Saturday, August 4, 2018.

And finally - Please remember the location of the 2018 Kilt Kamp is in Canada. If you are flying into Canada from the US, Australia, etc., you must have a passport. If you are driving across the border you must have a passport or an enhanced drivers license. Also, Victoria is on Vancouver Island, so as not to be confused with the city of Vancouver across the water nor the city of Vancouver in Washington State. We do have an airport with some international flights (US to Canada). Otherwise access to Victoria is via a ferry, either from Washington State or from the mainland of British Columbia.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in! Probably a box pleat in Lunar tartan.

Keeeevvvvviiinnnn ..........
    Last edited by H. Hastings; 3rd January 18 at 12:23 PM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to H. Hastings For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    email sent. Oh boy!
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registration SENT
    Sooooooo excited!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in. Sending the email now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt kamp 2018

I will be attending. I have confirmed my days off of work.
    Carol-Ann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just emailed in my registration! I hope I'm not too late!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt kamp 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Drymen Kilts View Post
    I will be attending. I have confirmed my days off of work.
    Carol-Ann
    Re-sent my information again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for all the folks who have signed up for Kilt Kamp, but are wondering where the invoices are, etc. I do the bookkeeping for Freedom Kilts so this has been a busy tax time, plus I have been major occupied with training and managing the new puppy (see the photos below). I promise to get notices out to everyone by the end of this week. If your name is on the list in the thread Kilt Kamp 2018 - The Registration List, then all is fine. Thanks for your patience!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	33372 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	33373 This is Awynn at 4 months (today) .... She is a Welsh Springer Spaniel. She likes Steve's kilts (although she would probably spell the word "cilt").
    Last edited by KiltedKnome; 6th March 18 at 10:14 PM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedKnome For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accomodation at Kilt Kamp 2018

A number of people have asked about possible places to stay, etc., while at Kilt Kamp.

Kilt Kamp 2018 is held at the Freedom Kilts shop at 1919 Fernwood Road, Victoria. This is in the neighbourhood of Fernwood (what is referred to in Victoria as a small urban village). In the past, folks have stayed either in AirBnBs, hotels, hostels or RV parks. There are several AirBnBs within walking distance, and both of the hostels are also walk-able (Turtle is closer). Hotels start ranging further afield so you might find yourself using either buses, taxis or personal car. Hotels also tend to be more expensive. Some sources are listed below.

AirBnB: www.airbnb.ca
    Hostels: http://www.oceanisland.com/
    http://www.turtlehostel.ca/
    Hotels: Check through sources like Expedia.ca
    RV parks: Check on-line

Breakfasts are provided each day on site during Kilt Kamp, plus munchies throughout the day. We have a refrigerator that folks can keep some food in for lunches, or you can visit one of the neighbourhood eateries or groceries. At least one night we bring in pizza, and we also plan a Kilt Night at the locale pub.

If you are bringing a car and need to drive to the shop each day, please be aware that parking is challenging in the Fernwood area. We have a few spaces in the back of the shop on a first come, first serve basis. Otherwise you will need to park on a side street that is not posted Residential Only, and then walk the few blocks to the shop.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedKnome For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast