X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt modification questions, unusual dye colors

I just recieved my new kilt from an e-bay auction. Hooray! It is a MacDonald of the Isles pattern tartan (read on), pleated to the red stripe (~30 pleats, appx. 2" deep). Unfortunately, It is 1-2 inches too big in the waist & 3-4 inches too long. I'd imagine I can take care of the waist problem by just moving the buttons (maybe replace w/straps & buckles?), but I'd like to have my grandmother (retired seamstress, but no real knowledge of kilts) shorten the hem for me. Before I go and ruin a beautiful kilt, is there anything special I need to know?

On another note, the tag says "Bonda, made in Canada"- Anyone familiar w/this company? The colors are unusual in that normal green is an olive/brown & the blue is a blue/grey. The red & white stripes are normal. I asked the seller about the colors & he said he bought it as a "MacDonald of the Isles hunting". I'm pretty familiar w/ all the usual variations & its nothing I've ever seen before, but the peculiarity of it struck me as something I liked. I'd love to find material of the same variation for a matching waistcoat, but I've had no luck. Any suggestions?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I know nothing about the fine art of tailoring, etc. Thanks

BTW, the auction has obviously ended, but the item # was 9331030799 (hope it still comes up), if you want to check out what I mean about the color shades.
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 29th June 06 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you have the weathered MacDonald of the Isles Hunting:

There is a thread in which Barb mentions how to hem a kilt, and using it my mother (who is a much, much better sewer than I will be) shortened one of my kilts by about two inches, creating an invisible hem). Do a search for "hem" or "hemming" and the thread should pop up.

Good luck with the alterations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.H. Davis & Company Ltd., Bonda Division

Business Profile
    Bonda Textiles is the original and only licenced manufacturer of Nova Scotia Tartan and is one of the few Canadian manufacturers of Scottish apparel. We market a complete collection of up-market goods for specialty gift shops and bed/bath/linen shops in North America. Our line includes Tartan apparel, made-in-Nova Scotia mohair products and made-in-UK lambs wool, cashmere/lambs wool and cashmere products.

Products and Services
    Mohair throws, stoles, knee rugs, pillows, serapes; lambs wool, cashmere/lambs wool and cashmere scarves, throws and serapes; Scottish Tartan ladies and children's apparel; tartan accessories.

Mission Objectives and Opportunities
    To develop new contacts in the specialty gift market; to engage a sales representative for New England; to promote the new Nova Scotia Mohair line.

Contact
    John D. Clulee, President
    Jean W. Clulee, Vice President
    361 Main Street
    Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
    Canada B5A 1E7
    Tel: (902) 742-3557 Ext. 26
    Fax: (902) 742-9600
    email: rhdavis@klis.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, guys! It is indeed a weathered hunting! I had searched for a pic of weathered hunting, but the only result for it I got was "photo unavailable" (Wompet, which directory did you use?). I will be sure to take all the info I glean to grandma before any alteration. I really appreciate it. I am in love w/ the kilt.
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 29th June 06 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I "borrowed" that from Locharron's website.
    And here's that thread I mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I was going a little batty trying to find an example of the tartan. I had checked Lochcarron several times, but didn't realize that the way I had entered my search criteria, I kept linking to the "Reiver" weight page, but Lochcarron only manufactures it in the "Strome" weight. I still went back to the page several times after I knew it should be there ("where is it,...where is it"), until I stumbled upon to where I was running afoul. As for the thread-I'll be sure to print it out before relinquishing the garment for modification. I'm sure gramdma will know what to do better than I could.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, YOU GUYS!!

Just when I decide I have MORE than enough kilts you go and add a new tartan to my wish list....

Please, don't take me to kilt detox....NO, NO,....I really WANT this tartan!!

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Jeez, YOU GUYS!!

Just when I decide I have MORE than enough kilts you go and add a new tartan to my wish list....

Ron
    I had better not tell you that I found 4 yards of that tartan in 13oz wool for $49 cdn, than should I Ron?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang...just show me the pics of what you finally do with it!

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Jeez, YOU GUYS!!

Ron
    Ron, you're gonna catch Hamish yet! (Don't anybody stand too close to Ron- his credit card is so hot it's starting to drip!)