X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help finding material

What I'm looking for is basically Black material with Orange tiger stripes (or vice versa) to make a Bengals Kilt.

Does anybody have any suggestions where I may find material to fit my needs?

i've checked Ebay already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJuggalo
    What I'm looking for is basically Black material with Orange tiger stripes (or vice versa) to make a Bengals Kilt.

Does anybody have any suggestions where I may find material to fit my needs?

i've checked Ebay already.
    I looked at Hancock Fabric and found this one (in a search of all camouflage fabrics). It's not Tiger Stripe but I bet it'd be great at Bengals games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a tiger print, but:

http://www.bearpawquilting.com/cgi-b...menu-1600.html

There's got to be some out there somewhere. There are autions on eBay for Bengal print fabric, but it's small sizes (yard or less).

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the above is a fleece (not suitable for kiltes, unless you like bulky lightweights) and the other is probably a thin cotton (if it is like the Falcons/Panthers ones I've seen).

At the store where I work (Hobby Lobby) we have had a tiger patterned fake fur, though I can't remember if we still do. It sold quickly (Clemson Tigers) last year. We also had a heavy weight denim-like one in cat pattern (tiger or leopard print- again I forget).

Thus, I'd suggest looking at craft stores (Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, et cetera), as well as fabric stores. Right now, animal prints are quite popular, especially Siberian tiger (white with black stipes), so you might find something usable.

From experience, I'd avoid the lightweight cottons (especially Calico), as well as the fleeces, satins, and many, many of the non-heavy fabrics (as should be obvious).

I'd look in the home dec fabrics, furs, and any other heavier/denser stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is to make a black box-pleated kilt with orange material in the under-pleat folds. I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish this, but I've seen pics on this site of such a kilt. The other problem is that folks may think you're trying to dress like a cheerleader. :rolleyes:
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of one I just completed. It is a kilt with the colors of the Atlanta Renegades Rugby Team. It is not that difficult but it is time consuming. The color in the picture is not the best and I haven't ironed it yet but it may give you an idea of how to accomplish this if you want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also try Jo-Ann fabrics. I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you could make your own unique fabric by using fabric inks on the orange (buff) fabric (I would suggest silk screen inks over fabric craft paints). You could either airbrush or manually paint the stripe pattern, then set the ink, wash the fabric, and make the kilt!
    Mark Dockendorf
    Left on the Right Coast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shoppi...ord=camouflage

that one's not too bad.

fleece might not be bad for going TO a game.

Also, you could make your own unique fabric by using fabric inks on the orange (buff) fabric (I would suggest silk screen inks over fabric craft paints). You could either airbrush or manually paint the stripe pattern, then set the ink, wash the fabric, and make the kilt!

that sounds really hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast