X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about popular sizes

This may seem an odd question, but I am curious as to what the most popular sizes are that are sold by professional kiltmakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really isn't an answer to this question...

There's no such thing as a "size" for a professional kiltmaker. Each kilt is sewn to the particular owner's measurements. Now there are some very reputable companies that sell "off the rack" kilts in standard 32", 34", etc measurements...but they aren't made by professional kiltmakers, per se. they are typically machine sewn in a factory to standardized dimensions.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last 2 kilts I made were:
    a 49" waist 51" hips 21"drop
    and a
    34" waist 31" hips 22.5" drop

and that sort of variation isn't unusual!As Longhuntr74 says, kiltmakers make to size, so there is not really a standard or popular size, and that, as a kiltmaker is exactly what I like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    I think kiltmakers must be b---dy magicians!
    All sorts of odd sizes, and yet the finished fitted kilt looks marvelous!..how is it done?...it must be a black art!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought too, that the length of kilt fabric was more to the point, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 yard etc?
    Schiehallion kilted and true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    I would have thought too, that the length of kilt fabric was more to the point, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 yard etc?
    If it were only the yardage. Custom kilts are made to measure. Then you have to design the kilt with the sett that the tartan is weaved. The design is not over yet until you get to each pleat where you need to make sure each pleat tapers from the waist to the hips and not lose any elements.

Each kilt is a custom design from the dimensions of the wearer, material, sett, etc. Each kilt is engineered to take all the variables to create a wearable garment.

THAT is what we all strive for...

Cheers,
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanCat View Post
    Each kilt is a custom design from the dimensions of the wearer, material, sett, etc. Each kilt is engineered to take all the variables to create a wearable garment.
    Cheers,
    And that is why making them is so fascinating! What's not to love about a constantly changing process that requires total dedication to detail. Maybe that's why so many of us are former (or current) engineers (like Steve) and scientists (like Barb and myself).

Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Hiker View Post
    And that is why making them is so fascinating! What's not to love about a constantly changing process that requires total dedication to detail. Maybe that's why so many of us are former (or current) engineers (like Steve) and scientists (like Barb and myself).

And it's curious that many of the pipers I know are either engineers, scientists, or mathematicians......

And ditto to what Longhuntr, PaulHenry and Wally have said! And, as many kilts as I have made, it always amazes me that it takes only 3 measurements to make that a kilt that will fit someone like a glove.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is indeed a big difference between a totally made to measure kilt and those that are "off the peg."

With the former there is no popular standardisation, as it is all individual measurements, with the latter the drop usually seems to be 24" with waists in 2" increments and with no seat information.

The only time I have encountered the use of only two measurements for made to measure (drop and waist) was for my Welsh Cilts from the Wales Tartan Centre, when I queried why they did not require the seat I was informed that this was not needed for their calculations. The Cilts both fit perfectly in the seat, but how they managed this is still something of a mystery!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I only make kilts for myself and try to stick to one set of measurements or a smaller one, (at least horizontally) the folding of the fabric is not identical in every case.

I usually pleat to a stripe, rather than the sett, so one factor is removed, that of matching the apron centre to the pleat centre.

However - the placing of the apron upon the fabric is still the first consideration. A large sett could mean cutting off fabric to get the apron right.

Slight adjustment of the size and shaping of the apron sometimes is prompted by how the pattern and the shaped edge appear at a first folding.

The size of the sett and the elements in it usually dictate where the pleats are folded, though easing the stripe slightly closer or further from the edge of the pleat can improve the appearance of the reveal, particularly within the tapering. That is where the science and math defer to craft and eye.

I do use a sliderule and micrometer when folding and sewing pleats, and am a B.Sc not a B.A. - and my musical performances did improve considerably once I obtained an electronic tuner.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast