X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suiting wool for kiltmaking?

I am thinking of making a kilt in a solid color, but am having a hard time finding kilting wool in the color I need. I have a chance to buy some that is described as "soft and tightly woven suiting wool" that seems to weigh 12-13 ounces/yard.

Anyone ever tried to make a kilt with suiting wool like this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some which is a nasty Teflon finish on one side but is a respectable brown on the other. I will of course be working on it 'inside out' and hope that the nasty shiny slidy finish will just make for a really nice swish.

I think it will make a decent midweight kilt, and it even has a good selvage edge so will not require hemming.

The cloth is dense, fluid and I think it will look well enough.

Now that I have a small (but good) number of wearable kilts I have been sidetracked into boring stuff like preparing to have new windows put in at the back of the house, so I have several sacks full of nearly done or potential kilts to be worked on when I have the time - so unfortunatly the suiting is only a kilt in potentia, as yet.

If the cost is not high I would say go for it, wool of any kind seems well worth investigating as a likely candidate for a kilt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of depends on the price, I think. The best wool for kilting is hard, not soft (holds a better crease) and twill weave rather than plain weave. If you can get it cheaply, of course, it doesn't matter. But, if you're going to pay a lot for it, you might want to invest instead in solid color fabric woven by a tartan mill.

Cheers!

Barb